Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Darren.
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Oilf filter spin on conversion Help

Post by Darren. »

The ebay link you sent compares to my new gasket but the one I have on the car is different, The engine i have is supposed to be a 1098 and year 1968
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Darren
You appear to be comparing chalk and cheese.
It is the block that you need to be concerned about.
The old type element filter head casting where it surrounds the oil transfer hole in the block is a completely different shape as shown in your photos above and consequently has a different gasket Pt No: 88G402..
Put the new type oil filter head gasket Pt No: 12A2035 on the block and if it surrounds the transfer hole in the block you will be alright. The new type gasket is the same shape as the spin on filter head where it bolts to the block.
To confirm what I am saying - I have just tried a spin on filter head similar to that supplied by Minisport on a 'A' Series block and it fits no problem.
A photo of the oil transfer hole in the block to clarify if there is actually a problem would be appreciated.
Attached is a photo of an 1098cc engine to which I fitted a similar spin on filter head to the one supplied by Minisport.
There was absolutely no problems encountered in fitting the filter head. A straight swop and bolt on modification :D
Phil
Attachments
100_2272.JPG
100_2272.JPG (1.62 MiB) Viewed 3465 times

Darren.
Minor Friendly

Post by Darren. »

When I offered up the new filter housing to the block there was a gap at the top of housing. Ive taken it back now and got a refund.Thanks Phill for your efforts but Im sure that the block on mine has a larger transfer hole
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Darren
Sorry it did not work out as hoped.
The transfer hole in the spare block I have is 18.5mm max which includes the countersink. The transfer hole is contained within the perimeter of the new gasket/spin on filter head.
The studs and transfer hole centres are in line.
I would still appreciate a photo of your block where the filter head attaches for future reference - as no doubt the same problem will arise in the future.
If you wish to use a spin on filter for your engine the 1275cc Midget spin on filter head (Pt No: 37H7078 (MOSS)) which uses the same gasket (Pt No: 88G402B (MOSS)) as the Minor can be used. Whilst they are no longer available new they occasionally come up for sale on 'e' bay or enquire on here.
Phil

Darren.
Minor Friendly

Post by Darren. »

Phil here is a picture. As you say its the countersunk bit thas the problem and not perticularly the main gallery
Attachments
DSCF3780.JPG
DSCF3780.JPG (106.37 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Darren,

Your picture shows the early non-spin-on gasket still on the block, which will not work with a spin-on housing, apart from maybe some very early ones. The housing you had is not that type, it is the later very common housing and the gasket you need is Part No. 12A2035:
Oil Filter Gasket.jpg
Oil Filter Gasket.jpg (19.55 KiB) Viewed 3491 times
Did you try to fit the spin-on housing to the block using the old housing gasket? Hope not!!

From your picture I cannot see anything peculiar with your block and as far as I know all the commonly available spin-on filter housings use this gasket, so any of the typical spin-on filter housings will fit your block, with the correct gasket.
Richard

Darren.
Minor Friendly

Post by Darren. »

OH BLOOMIN NORAH IVE MADE A RIGHT DICK OF MYSELF

Yes Phill the old gasket was still on :oops: Now i will have to go back to Minisport and face the embarrasement of buying it back lol.
Ah well you learn by your mistakes.Thanks again Phill for your persistance.
I will now go and give myself a kick up the backside
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Darren
Many thanks for the picture.
As identified by Richard above you have not removed the old gasket and that is why you have the gap.
Completely remove the old gasket Pt No: 88G402 and fit the new gasket Pt No: 12A2035 and the spin on filter head and all will be well.
We all make mistakes so be gentle with yourself.
When you repurchase make sure that you get the short studs or bolts as the studs in the photo are not suitable for the spin on filter head.

https://www.minisport.com/lyg10008-bolt ... c-x-1.html

http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... assic/spin on filter head.aspx|Back to search

http://www.minispares.com/product/classic/CHS2613.aspx
Phil

amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Just goes to show that a picture paints a thousand words. Good job we can now do it :roll: :D

greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

We all do it. Don't worry. Atleast you know you can change it now.
Darren.
Minor Friendly

Post by Darren. »

Hah Hah ok chaps went back to mini sport. Said to same guy that always serves me " Tail between my legs lol ive realised that I have made a school boy mistake". He said " when you returned the filter housing I had a word with the engineer and he confirmed that the new housing would not fit". You can imagine how that made me feel. Anyway i bit the bullet and bought it again. You can imagine how nervouse i was hoping that it would fit because this would be the point of no return. As soon as i got home i offered it up to the block and to much relief i feel that it is going to be just fine.

Next question is the teasing of the oilf feed pipe. I need to bend the pipe work so that it connects. I do understand that i need to be carefull as not to kink or split the pipe. I also know that when the pipe is connected that it should not be under any stress.

Any tips on this would be very welcome
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

deleted :roll:
Last edited by amgrave on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The pipe between the block and the filter head may or may not need to be adjusted to suit the new oil filter arrangement.
Fit the pipe to the block and place the other end on the filter head union. Lift the nut on the filter head end and see how the pipe aligns/fits on the union.
It may require to be aligned by gentle bending.
The block union and filter head union should not be done up with the intention of pulling the ends of the pipe into alignment as the union in the filter head could be broken out of the alloy filter head.
There must be absolutely no stress in the pipe or unions - the block union and the filter head union should be aligned so as to be able to tighten the block bolt and filter head nut by hand with only the final tightening needed to be done by a spanner.
If there is any stress in the pipe there is a good chance that the pipe will fracture with the total loss of oil pressure.
To overcome the possibility of strain or mis-alignment in the oil transfer pipe the recommendation these days is to fit a flexible pipe between the block union and filter head.
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... lassic/oil transfer pipe.aspx|Back to search

ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

this is what you need. I have this fitted to my A30. don't play around with 50 year old pipework.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

That is the way to do it but that is not a 803cc engine as fitted originally to the A30

ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

correct, that would require a spin on filter directly into the block.

my A30 is some what "modified" lets say. picture shows it before I fitted accuspark ignition.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Re the transfer pipe alignment:-

The Minor oil transfer pipe is Pt No: 88G538.

The spin on filter oil transfer pipe is Pt No: TAM2106.

The oil transfer pipe connection datum point on the spin on filter head can and may be different to the Minor filter head which may require the Minor oil transfer pipe realigning.

Darren.
Minor Friendly

Post by Darren. »

Thanks to everyone the job is now done. The transfer pipe did need a slight bending. I made sure that i could finger tighten the connections before i got the spanner on.

On first fire up I had a horrible squealing noise "big panic" turned out it was the dynamo bearings lol. I slackened the belt off and all was fine. Might put an alternator on at a later date.

I just want to say how good this message board is and its members willing to give help.Big thumbs up to you all.If anyone near me needs some hands on help i would gladly help :P