Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Darren.
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Oilf filter spin on conversion Help

Post by Darren. »

This is the first time ive done an oil change

The car is a 1098 with standard canister filter. I took the filter off and found this in the canister.......A spring ? what is it
DSCF3774 size.jpg
DSCF3774 size.jpg (96.52 KiB) Viewed 4190 times

Got me worried what the heck is going on lol, Any Ideas
Last edited by Darren. on Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: What is this ?

Post by myoldjalopy »

There should be a spring in there (plus washers) to hold the plate up against the filter - see diagrams in this thread:viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41946
I thought it should be a bit longer than your photo shows but I could be wrong - I have never measured mine and its inside my own filter bowl now so can't check!
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Should be a spring under a plate pushing the filter up. With out it the oil will bypass the filter.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The item is the spring (either Tecalemit Pt No: 7H1764 or Purolator Pt No: 500319) that goes under the plate on which the bottom of the filter element sits. Item Nos:- 105 & 130 in the attached link below.
If the spring was found separate inside the filter housing and not wrapped around the oil filter bowl securing bolt then the oil filter has not been doing its job as oil has been allowed to by-pass the oil filter.
The spring keeps the oil filter element pushed hard up so sealing against the large round plate attached to the underside of the filter head.

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-mo ... 0f3d3.html

Are the rest of the internal oil filter housing components in place?

Plymo

Post by Plymo »

I had the same problem on mine, the spring was there but the plate was missing so the filter was doing absolutely nothing at all. It also leaked badly from the bottom and was messy to change.

I ended up doing the spin on filter conversion (which I believe is a later Mini part). It was easy to do and should be simple to change too. There's also only one seal in total so there are fewer places to leak from.
- 1969 Almond Green 2-door Saloon -
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I consider that fitting the spin on/off oil filter head is one of the better and useful conversions that can be done to a Minor engine.
There is very little if any mess when changing the oil filter and the new oil filter can be primed (filled with oil) before fitting.
Here is a kit all ready to go:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini- ... Swls5Y6oEg

When doing the conversion make sure that there is no strain or tension on the feed pipe from block to filter head. Slight adjustment of the pipe regarding the alignment may be required.

Darren.
Minor Friendly

Post by Darren. »

Ok chaps ive been back to look at the job today and oil will be well drained. I have been studying the link with pictures of the filter assembly and they are all slightly different. The parts i have are in the pics below. The new filter comes with two big selaing rings,one is thicker than the other. The ring that came off my filter was the thinner one so i gess this is the one to fit ?. Also i notice that i do not have any washers that fit between the filter plate and the spring ? All i have is the bottom cup and little washer that sits inside the cup and nothing else but the plate. The Haynes manual i have is next to useless reguarding this job. Is there a deffinative example of how this should be put together.
Attachments
DSCF3776.JPG
DSCF3776.JPG (111.46 KiB) Viewed 4103 times
DSCF3775.JPG
DSCF3775.JPG (108.96 KiB) Viewed 4103 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Even though the Purolator and the Tecalemit filter assys are slightly different the assembly process is the same.
Use the MOSS link above to determine the order of assembly - the parts are near identical on both makes of filter.
You appear to be missing the felt washer (Pt No: 2K5820 (MOSS)) and the plain washer (Pt No: 17H1765 (MOSS) which fits under the filter plate and which can be used on both makes of filter - you have the spring.
Whilst it is better that they are installed it is not absolutely imperative that they are fitted especially if you want to get the car back on the road.
Procure those parts and fit at the next oil and filter change.
Fitting the spring correctly will ensure that the oil filter is used as it should be and filters all of the oil and will be certainly better than as found.

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Although I have long since changed to the screw-on type filter, Recall doing the job you are doing very well. It is always best to use a new o ring on the top of the canister as the old one is often distorted and will leak. It is a real sod to get it right!
Darren.
Minor Friendly

Post by Darren. »

Thanks for the replys (Philthehill you always come up with the goods as you have done for me in the past)and all the rest of the replys. I feel better now lol. Luckily Mini sports is only a short drive from me so i will pick up the washers needed. I just wanted re assurance in what I had. I will also look into getting the spin on type mini filter from the Bay in due course as this will save the hassle. Thanks again chaps :D
Darren.
Minor Friendly

Re: Oilf filter spin on conversion Help

Post by Darren. »

Ok an update ! I went to minisports and decided to get a spin on housing. they sold me a spin on housing but Ive discovered it is proberbly the wrong one. The housing looks like it will fit although it be upside down so this is no good to me due to the pipe connection. Which housing exactly is the one I should ask for. :roll:
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

This is the one you want:-

https://www.minisport.com/12a2032-oil-f ... -type.html

As this is the only one on their web site I suspect it is the one you have purchased.
It fits as per the illustration.
You will need the two short mounting bolts and the gasket between filter head and block.
Make sure that there is no strain in the pipe from block to filter head. It may need slight adjustment to take out any strain.
Last edited by philthehill on Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darren.
Minor Friendly

Post by Darren. »

Phill thats the same part number that ive bought but as said.... It looks like its for the upside down type. When I offer it upto the block with filter underneath it looks like it wont cover the oil passages. When I turn it so canister is on the top and housing upside down it will fit. ?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Darren
There is only one oil passage and that is central between the two mounting holes on both the block and filter head.
If you have the oil filter head listed it will fit without any problem.

Darren.
Minor Friendly

Post by Darren. »

Hmmm just taken 2 pictures. Looks to me like it wont fit any way round. Pictures are of old and new one with holes lined up and as you can see there is a gap at the top or bottom depending which way round you have it.
Attachments
DSCF3777.JPG
DSCF3777.JPG (111.18 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
DSCF3778.JPG
DSCF3778.JPG (111.61 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

What does the engine side of the business look like ? I do not recall the oil channel being that large.
Darren.
Minor Friendly

Post by Darren. »

Much the same realy. This is messing with my head lol. When I offer the housing up to the block there is a small gap. Maybe all blocks are not the same ?
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

don't you just bolt the new part to the block with a gasket??????
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

How does the gasket shape below compare ? The link does give a warning that on some 948's there may be a gap so presumably some engine block oil filter mountings are different. Mine 948 (1957) was a straightforward swap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR- ... 2421181451
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

i once had a moggy that could not take the spin on filter... was told that a few were made
like that. can't remember which though :-?