Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuartstuart59
MMOC Member: No

Re: High tensile steel halfshafts

Post by stuartstuart59 »

Hi

I have a Minor with a 1275 engine with a mild road cam which I will be using for historic road rallies. It has anti tramp bars fitted. I intend to change the half shafts for something stronger - the options are:

Riley 1.5 shafts that came as spares with the car and are reputed to be stronger - is this an "old wives" tale !

Charles Ware toughened half shafts

Peter May competition half shafts

I will not be driving like a hooligan but will occasionally be getting a move on.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Stuart
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

Stuart,

I believe that the halfshafts are common to the Minor, Riley 1.5 and Wolesley 1500.

Anti-tramp bars help to reduce the excess torque reversals in the halfshafts, but the root cause is that they, and also the very coarse spline on the diff end, are just not capable of transmitting the torque on a long term basis.

The Riley 1.5 and Wolesley 1500 both have a 3.7 diff, so the higher engine torque transmitted through the halfshafts is managed to a degree by the higher diff ratio.

When we restored our Minor we fitted a very well modified 1380 A-Series and put in the 'toughened' halfshafts and anti-tramp bars and had no failures in ~15,000 miles. THEN I decided to fit a Tran-X LSD and on the first outing with the new diff, we have a climbing LH turn from a standing start at the end of our road (200m). Not very many revs (cold engine) and click went the RH halfshaft, as the load was transferred across the diff! Fortunately being a 'plate' type LSD, I could creep back home.

Then fitted Peter May's EN24 'Competition' halfshafts and almost 40,000 miles later have had no problems.

The price difference between 'toughened' and EN24 is rather large, so if no plans to fit an LSD, but you do have anti-tramp bars, I would be tempted to go with the 'toughened', but be aware they can break!
Richard

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

The axle shafts fitted to the Minor, the Wolseley 1500 and Riley 1.5 are one and the same.
I would recommend that you use new half -shafts from the likes of Peter May Engineering

http://www.petermayengineering.co.uk/ca ... catalogue5

Part No: 5.32.2

Whilst not cheap they will do the job long term and they are not welded.

Unless the toughened half-shafts (Standard new half-shaft Pt No: ATA7057 (MOSS) at £109.96 plus the usual)) are new and unused I would be wary of toughened pre-used half-shafts; because unless they have been 'normalised' i.e the stresses and strains removed they will still have a capacity to break.