Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Opinions Please

Post by jagnut66 »

The porcelain Green one would be worth a look if you can, the only thing I don't like is that awful luggage rack, though others may think it's cute......... :roll:
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Tilley31
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Tilley31 »

What's the view on this one?
(Thank you Louise!)

Mark - Please bare with me whilst I compare my favourites, yours is still a contender.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR- ... 43bfaaa98f

Thanks again :)
Tilley x
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Have you looked at any actual rather than virtual Minors yet?

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

As this is your first car, make sure that you take someone with you who knows about Minors or older vehicles. It's very easy to fall for something that looks nice or is in the particular colour you are looking for but having someone else with you during any viewing will help to remove 'rose tinted specs'.
bmcecosse wrote:That last one - the Porcelain Green - has some useful (and some not so useful - eg the rear dampers are crude in the extreme ) modifications - it looks a grand car - and again I would want a NEW MOT put on the car so you can be sure of 12 months motoring before having to worry about it. The final price of course remains to be seen!
It's now on the Car & Classic site for £2895: http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C423912

Eric - 1971 Traveller
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

As there is a picture of a car with black paintwork (presumably this car before restoration) in the original Ebay pictures its not a genuine Porcelain Green? This picture seems to be missing from the car and classic ad.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

The black car in the e-bay ad is a different car, with trafficators. I thinks it's his other Minor, which he mentions in the ad.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

:oops: Didn't scroll down that far!

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the further feedback.

Marky B - I am yet to view any MMs in person; my dilema is finding one near enough. Every other one i've found and liked is a long way to travel when i'm not 100% sure. Tough to get around!

I'm unsure of the porcelain green one mainly because of the respray and daampers as pointed out.

Euuurrrggghhh, such a ball ache! Also, what are MMs like through the Winter? Am I being a total idiot buying one knowing it's got to get me through the British Winter?!

Tilley x
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

That's why I suggested dropping in to your local branch.
Without having seen a few you will have no way of judging what you are seeing when you look at on you want to buy.

Have you ever been for a ride in a Minor or other car of this sort of age?

They are fine in winter as long as well maintained and serviced.
Narrow tyres work better in snow as they tend to cut through it rather than skate on the top.

Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

Hi Mark,

I havent yet been to a local branch (not quite sure where that is!) neither have a driven one or seen one in real life; I just know I love them :)

How do they fair in Winter in terms of defrosting/ice/warmth etc?

Thanks,
Tilley x
Tiny
Minor Friendly

Post by Tiny »

Tilley31 wrote:
How do they fair in Winter in terms of defrosting/ice/warmth etc?
Defrosting (demisting) - Ours has a fan heater that works fine, However buy a little chamois demister pad and you'll be ok... Moggie has a really useful glove-box on the drivers-side where you can keep it at a handy reach too...
Also by opening the little quater-light windows i've noticed no matter how hard you breath, the windscreen doesn't mist up (really clever idea that seems so lacking in modern cars - My modern Mondeo makes a horrible bellowing noise when the window is open just a jar)

Ice - Small sized windscreen makes using the scraper so much less work than a modern aerodynamic windscreen

Warmth - OK the modern car with heated seats wins here, but wear a coat, hat, scarf and you'll be fine
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Tilley I would really recommend that you at least try one out before you invest a substantial amount of money in one!

I think you said you came from Northampton? So your nearest branch is Northants. Contact Julian Catlin 01eight32 730zero78

They meet 1st Wednesday of the month (next one October 2nd 2013), at The Bell, Bell Hill, Finedon Very friendly bunch! If you ring them someone may be able to give you a lift to the meeting and you would at least get the chance to sit in a Minor to see if you could drive one.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i would also say buy with your head not your heart we went all the way to penzance to get hazels car and drove it back 300 miles or so .
[sig]5641[/sig]
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

Thanks guys :) x
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

I didn't realise all minors were rear wheel drive - is this dangerous? How do they pull on a motorway? are they noisy?
I have been advised by a few people recently that perhaps a MM would not be an ideal first car for many reasons but mainly safety.

Any further thoughts/advice welcome x
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

I have regularly driven 300 miles a week in mine moterways included
but mines for sale now
they do make good cars
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I didn't realise all minors were rear wheel drive - is this dangerous?
Not at all, my Mercedes is rear wheel drive as too as are many BMWs and other cars.

There is no substitute for experience, and looking at pictures doesn't give you any.
It won't be quite like the car you learned to drive in, it's from an earlier time.
Nothing is power assisted, you even wind the windows up by hand!

They are perfectly usable but just liking the look and a particular colour doesn't mean you will enjoy owning one.
Get some REAL LIFE experience, there is no substitute, you will either fall in love with the uniqueness of them or decide that you want something that needs a minimum of effort on your part to get you from A to B.

alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

Post by alexandermclaren »

MarkyB wrote:Looks very tidy and not too dear. Maybe someone from here will view it with you or maybe from your local branch?[frame]Image[/frame]
I'd expect there to be plenty of paperwork, old MOTs and service records to validate the low mileage claim.
Very tidy

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Marky I don't think Bmw have ever made a front wheel drive car ???
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

The new Mini?

According to the press BMW will be introducing FWD cars this year or next on to the market.
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics