Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tilley31
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Opinions Please

Post by Tilley31 »

Hi Guys,

I really need some thoughts on the attached pictures; I don't know a great deal about Moggies and am looking to buy my very first car/moggy in the next couple of months. I have found this one priced at £3k.
I've been recommended to get the head exchanged for an unleaded one and eventually change the bumpers - what cost would I be looking at?

What's the general consensus?

Original Advert:
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C392356

Additional Pictures to follow!

Thank you!
Tilley x[frame]Image[/frame]
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Re: Opinions Please

Post by Tilley31 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Looks very tidy and not too dear. Maybe someone from here will view it with you or maybe from your local branch?[frame]Image[/frame]
I'd expect there to be plenty of paperwork, old MOTs and service records to validate the low mileage claim.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
From the advert it looks a nice honest car but you would need to see it in the flesh and drive it, to get the feel of it, before parting with your hard earned cash. And it's always worth a haggle on the day too, you may be able to negotiate it down a bit, especially if you have cash in hand at the ready... :P

I attach a link for an unleaded head for you, basically £237.95 plus VAT, however this includes a £100 surcharge on your old head, so say around £137.95 plus VAT.

http://www.morrisminorspares.net/shop_item.php?ID=4163

I've also attached some links to give you an idea of bumper prices, though, as always, it would pay you to shop around, you may even be able to get a decent second hand set (eBay??) and save some cash that way, plenty of spares for these old girls out there! :P

http://www.morrisminorspares.net/shop_item.php?ID=1555
http://www.morrisminorspares.net/shop_item.php?ID=2679
http://www.morrisminorspares.net/shop_item.php?ID=2682
http://www.morrisminorspares.net/shop_item.php?ID=1561

I'd also shop around for some stainless steel bumper bolts, as I've heard tale that the chrome ones aren't very good quality and rust quickly, unless you are happy to re-use your own.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Gilesv
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gilesv »

It looks like a good straight car, I personally wouldn't touch the engine especially with the low mileage, I think it's asking for trouble. (if ain't broke DON'T fix it!) New head gaskets are rubbish, and you're lucky to get 10k miles out of them (I know, believe me!) plus you only need an unleaded head if you're constantly doing high speed 60+ (for an MM!) on motorways on long journeys etc. Just use a lead additive in the petrol if you feel you want extra protection which is readily available from Halfords etc.

New bumper chrome is generally rubbish too, occasionally good quality used items come up for sale particularly at the National Rally etc.

I also note that the air filter has been changed at some point, it's one from an earlier car, however, it may not make much or any difference. Also is there any evidence of the rear window leaking? The trim beneath the window inside looks like it may have become damp at some point: it's not difficult or expensive to fix.

Regarding the mileage: is there any paperwork to back up the mileage as Jagnut rightly mentions?..and if there is, does the engine number match with early service history or a original bill of sale if either is available?

You should drive it or at least go for a run in it with the current owner, which at that mileage should be quiet and smooth.

I hope this doesn't confuse the issue and is not intended to be a criticism of the previous post, it's just observations from someone who has had Minors since 1981.

I also agree with Jagnut that an lowish offer should be submitted, you can always come up!

Good luck!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Looks fair enough - considerable evidence of some rather rough & ready welding underneath - and a new crossmember has been fitted (which is a good point!) . I would be wanting to negotiate the price down quite a bit...... And there is NO NEED for an unleaded head, or silly additives...... And as above - new chrome is sometimes not best quality - or v long lasting - polish up whatever is on the car.....
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I would junk those static seat belts and fit some decent inertia belts
[sig]3580[/sig]
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

Thank you everyone for your input and Mike for all your links; it's so nice to be able to get some expert advice. Just goes to show how little I know! I'm in 2 minds about this one - I feel I may be opening a can of worms which I just can't afford to do.

The search goes on.....
Tilley x
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

PS - I just wish I could task someone else to find me something suitable!! :)
aran
Minor Friendly

Post by aran »

looks to me like the bulkhead has been painted recently and for the money i would want cleaner welding than shown on the last pic on the ad. :roll:

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

[frame]Image[/frame]
It does look like Mr Blobbys work in places, not the end of the world and a good way to negotiate the price down a bit.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"