Upgrade information....

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Cam
MMOC Member: No

Post by Cam »

Yes, the manifold was what I was on about.

Either carb will do. The HIF38 is just a more modern version of the HS4. They are both equivalent and have the same throat size (roughly).

I would say you have probably got the standard size exhaust. The falcon large bore one has a rolled tip and looks like this:

http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/Members_Ca ... xhaust.jpg
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Does Maniflow make a minor exhaust system? because I know they make mild steel midget LCBs
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
lynda
Minor Fan

Post by lynda »

Cam wrote:
I would say you have probably got the standard size exhaust. The falcon large bore one has a rolled tip and looks like this:

http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/Members_Ca ... xhaust.jpg
No, I'm sure it doesn't look like that..... must be a standard one then.
Cam

Post by Cam »

Does Maniflow make a minor exhaust system? because I know they make mild steel midget LCBs
I know they make mild steel manifolds for the Minor and I think they make exhaust systems too.

http://www.maniflow.co.uk/morris.asp

Yes, they make both! I have not seen the Minor ones, but I have used their products years ago on my Minis and they were just about the best you could buy.
No, I'm sure it doesn't look like that..... must be a standard one then.
Yep. More than likely I would think.
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Just wondering why you are recommending falcon when you have only had trouble with them....
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Lynda if you want to keep your original stainless exhaust system with an alloy inlet manifold you have 2 options you can either cut the inlet off the standard minor one or get a mini 1000 combined manifold and do the same thing as it has the same outlet as the minor one so the exhaust will still fit, but the mini manifold was for an 1 1/2" SU so the exhaust side breathes a bit better, if you go this route rather than change to a larger bore system you will still keep the standard exhaust note, but you will need to sort out a different air filter housing or have the original modified.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Cam

Post by Cam »

Just wondering why you are recommending falcon when you have only had trouble with them....
To be fair, I have spoken to a few people running less modified cars who have not had trouble with them. If the cars are not used a lot and are used for just pootling about then the systems are a lot less stressed.

Mine gets very hot (thanks to the high compression engine and the high RPM) and used to have to put up with BAD clutch judder.

Technically speaking if the exhaust is deisgned/made properly with the proper materials, then it should not matter what you subject it to.

I was not recommending the system as such, just making Lynda aware that it existed. For her plans it might be fine and never give any problems as it won't be anywhere near as stressed as it is on my car.

To be honest, it's a bit restrictive on my car too which may also be why it's prone to failure. BUT the supplier was made aware of what engine it was going on, so they are responsible for it's failure in service, which again, to be fair, they have replaced/repaired it as well as giving me free exhaust clamps/straps/brackets each time.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

and used to have to put up with BAD clutch judder
Cam is it now resolved, and was it the spigot bush causing the problems.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Cam

Post by Cam »

Yes, Kevin thanks for asking it is now resolved and the clutch operation is as smooth as a cashmere codpiece! Although the bearing is squealing, but the old one did for a while before bedding in, so I hope this one will be the same!

The spigot bush did not CAUSE the problem, but was destroyed as a result of other problems.

The cause was how the actual thrust bearing was moving against the diaphragm plate. The Birmingham Minor centre supplied a pivot bracket which caused the thrust bearing to move in an arc when engaging (like in the Minor 'box/clutch setup). This is fine for carbon bearings, but for diaphragm types it means that the clutch engages in a concentric motion which causes un-evenness and judder. This judder on the input shaft broke the spigot bush up.

The solution was to obtain an input shaft sleeve (like the original from Ford and the bit that the Minor centre removes) so that the thrust bearing slides over this sleeve and actuates centrally. This of course involved opening out the pivot bracket into a slot to allow the movement but it only moves my a few mm.

If you are interested, then have a look at my picture (and video) archive for the job!

http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/Members_Cars/Cam/WRC186G/

The bits of interest are between 28th March 2004 and 11th April 2004 inclusive
turbominor
Minor Fan

Post by turbominor »

where did you get the orange paint from! almost as bright as my engine :wink:
missing life with a moggie
Cam

Post by Cam »

If you mean the rushed MOT welding on the pictures after, it's red oxide. My camera is not too good with reds! :lol:
turbominor
Minor Fan

Post by turbominor »

phew!! time for new camera!!

just hoping my falcon holds togeather when mine takes to the road soon
missing life with a moggie
A65Bill

Post by A65Bill »

lynda wrote: shopping list, 12G295 cylinder head,
Any other items for the list, or suggestions?
Please forgive the intrusion. I used to belong to MMOC & have owned a string of Minis, 2 Minors & a MK1 Midget & have rebuilt & tuned many A Series engines.
Time & space now dictate that I only mess with bikes, so I got rid of all of my A series stuff a few years ago, but...I still have a 12G295, complete with valves & rocker gear. It came of an MG1100 & had 30thou skimmed off (the normal was 40 thou, as general rule of thumb). I stopped at 30 thou, as I had the face of that particular block faced too; the deck height was not ideal. It was used for only a few thousand miles, as I recall & has been stored in oily paper. I've kept it as a token & in hope, but if it will help a true enthusiast, I could be persuaded...for a sensible (for all sides) price - I can't donate it free, the bikes wont let me!
A colourtune plug is a good buy to help set it up. I would go for a single 1.5 inch SU for ease of set up, it's not worth the hassle of twin carbs. you could go to a 1.75 in but it would be a lot more fussy to get right on a 1098. As for the exhaust, the original small block exhaust, really skinny like to 850 mini is too small to let the engine breath, but the bigger 1275 exhaust tends to be too big for the 1098. The size to go for is the larger 1098 one, which is the same diameter pipe as the 1098 Midget. Don't be swayed by promises of better breathing via a fat 1275 Midget size exhaust - it doesn't work on smaller A-series without some serious gas flowing & even then is marginal. Someone else will have the pipe diameter, I'm sure, if not it's in Vizard. Sounds are best without a central resonator box.
I can bring the head over to Cambridge sometime, if you want someone to look it over for you, before deciding if it really is the right gem for you!
SJIC on Cowley Rd is fine for me.

I still have the MG1100 original tubular LCB if anyone wants it - it came with a fixable dent in the centre pipe. Probably of interest only to a restorer/originality type.
:P
lynda
Minor Fan

Post by lynda »

PM is on it's way to you, A65Bill....
MrA.Series
Minor Fan
Location: Cambridge in term, otherwise Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

Post by MrA.Series »

Handy site if you do want to fit a SU HIF 38:
http://website.lineone.net/~bmmoc/HIF%2 ... %20Mod.htm

One plus side of fitting an older HS4 is that you can retain the old 1098 air filter housing for originality.
Boris: 1968 2-Door Saloon
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/76758/Morris%20Minor/BorisThumbnail.JPG[/img]
(In background is Pixie: 1968 2-Door Saloon)
lynda
Minor Fan

Post by lynda »

MrA.Series wrote:Handy site if you do want to fit a SU HIF 38:
http://website.lineone.net/~bmmoc/HIF%2 ... %20Mod.htm

One plus side of fitting an older HS4 is that you can retain the old 1098 air filter housing for originality.
Thanks Rob, it's always useful to have pictures! As Rosie is supposed to be snowberry white with a black interior (and is now maroon with red interior) I have given up on originality..... Also Winger300 has an air filter to fit the HIF38 :D
TerryG
Minor Fan

Post by TerryG »

So if I read this correctly a spridget 1275 will just bolt in, engine and gearbox to the existing prop with not major mods to the shell? I'm off down the scrappy to find a sprite / midget to cannibalise, i have 2 people chasing a midget rear axle for me atm so I can fit my wire wheels, a 1275 would be nice too. I hope my bank manager is in a good mood. ;-)
"The answer to the Ultimate Question... Of Life, the Universe and Everything..." said Deep Thought. "Is..." said Deep Thought, and paused. "Is... Forty-two," said Deep Thought.
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

I have successfully fitted a 1098 Minor air filter box to a HIF38 carb by using a 90° trumpet from an early Marina (and many other BL cars I'm sure) in between. The top of the trumpet needed relieving slightly for a good fit but that was simple enough with a bit of patience and a set of files. I only did this because I found the K&N filter was excessively noisy. Even with a standard filter my tuned 948 car didn't seem to be any less powerful.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

I'm off down the scrappy to find a sprite / midget to cannibalise
Good luck mate......
About 100,000 spridgets were made with 1275 engines, I havent seen a single one in a scrappy!!

Have a look here

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/midgetspritecl ... etnew.html
lynda
Minor Fan

Post by lynda »

We've had a slight change of plan..... and decided it might be cheaper to just put a 1300 engine in, because then we have a good 1098 engine to sell, and we'll need to take it out anyway to paint the engine bay!