Can this be replaced?

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
beechford
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by beechford »

what about "Home Home On the Range Rover" where the deer and the antelop play
ADO16
Minor Fan

Post by ADO16 »

No cigar yet!!

Need more clues?

They built the car in Essex.':wink:'
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Mk 1 Cortina?

Eric - 1971 Traveller
ADO16
Minor Fan

Post by ADO16 »

Ding, ding, ding, ding!

You guessed it!!!

What was the giveaway? Essex...Dagenham, Essex!

It's a 1966 MkI Cortina GT 2 door that I've owned for more that 20yrs. It's in rust free condition due to it's almost entire life in California. I was lucky to find it in Central Calif. from the first owner and it has about 105k miles.

So, do you smoke cigars? ':D'
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Well it was obviously going to be a Ford with the Essex connection, and a friend used to own a Mk1 Cortina so it did look a bit familiar :D

You can keep the cigar though :wink:

Eric - 1971 Traveller
ADO16
Minor Fan

Post by ADO16 »

LouiseM wrote:Well it was obviously going to be a Ford with the Essex connection, and a friend used to own a Mk1 Cortina so it did look a bit familiar :D

You can keep the cigar though :wink:
I don't smoke them either '8)'
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

ADO16 wrote:
rayofleamington wrote:
It can be repaired. I'd be tempted to fit a new full leg this side though. Check the bulkhead X member for bulging or denting, plus the screen pillars and maybe even the front joint of the roof.
Also common is bulging/distortion of the bulkhead, near the edges above the inner wing domed area.

If you're doing the car for sentimental reasons, then that's understandable. However if it's just a project, would it be worth to find another with a better shell to start with?
A few decades ago I started a major resto on a 4 door before finding out that the rear end was quite distorted from an old crash. The project was a useful learning curve (I did a half floor, full sill and complete crossmember and was about to start the other side) but the damage at the rear made it an easy decision to quit and cut my losses
I can't disagree with you more but I'm somewhat determined to at least try to restore this one only because of it's rarity here in the states. Believe me, if I could find a better body to start with I would not hesitate to. I do have a friend in Seattle, Washington that is an extremely talented bodyman that I will ask for a second opinion now that some question has come up. The nice thing is I really don't have very much invested into this car if I have to cut it loose.

Thanks, and I do respect your opinion on it!

Steve
I'd restore that even if in the UK, as MM shells aren't exactly plentiful here. Do bear in mind if ordering parts the the domed inner wings and tie plates are different on MMs to later cars so the standard repair panels you'd get wouldnt be right, you'd need to specify the earlier panels. Chassis legs are the same though.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
ADO16
Minor Fan

Post by ADO16 »

IaininTenbury wrote:
ADO16 wrote:
rayofleamington wrote: Also common is bulging/distortion of the bulkhead, near the edges above the inner wing domed area.

If you're doing the car for sentimental reasons, then that's understandable. However if it's just a project, would it be worth to find another with a better shell to start with?
A few decades ago I started a major resto on a 4 door before finding out that the rear end was quite distorted from an old crash. The project was a useful learning curve (I did a half floor, full sill and complete crossmember and was about to start the other side) but the damage at the rear made it an easy decision to quit and cut my losses
I can't disagree with you more but I'm somewhat determined to at least try to restore this one only because of it's rarity here in the states. Believe me, if I could find a better body to start with I would not hesitate to. I do have a friend in Seattle, Washington that is an extremely talented bodyman that I will ask for a second opinion now that some question has come up. The nice thing is I really don't have very much invested into this car if I have to cut it loose.

Thanks, and I do respect your opinion on it!

Steve

I'd restore that even if in the UK, as MM shells aren't exactly plentiful here. Do bear in mind if ordering parts the the domed inner wings and tie plates are different on MMs to later cars so the standard repair panels you'd get wouldnt be right, you'd need to specify the earlier panels. Chassis legs are the same though.
Ian,
Thanks for the encouragement! I know there's plenty of things to make right on this car but in the end I'm sure it is all going to work out. It will be a rare one here that's for sure.
Where would I be able to find panels for the MM and would they even ship to the States?

Steve
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

FOR SOME REASON TRADERS DO NOT LIKE SHIPPING TO THE USA OR CANADA
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

I expect its just the hassle and expense. I'm currently arranging a shipment of Morris J van panels to Vancouver, and its not straightforward. The crate needs to be fumigated with appropriate official stamps and paperwork, but its nothing that money can't solve.... :-?
I would have thought smaller quantities of panels in cardboard packaging would be relatively sraightforward, if not cheap, to airfreight.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!