Can this be replaced?

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ADO16
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Can this be replaced?

Post by ADO16 »

Just thought I would ask if these panels can be replaced? It seems that on this side of the car it was hit and the previous owner must of had the body guy pull it out but I'm not satisfied with it so I'm replacing instead of trying to straighten it out.<br>Image<br>
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Bodywork is not my department but I would think that just about anything can be replaced.
It looks as though the inner wing and engine bay floor panels also need replacing, I would also give the front end a complete alignment check, front chassis leg, suspension mountings etc and possibly the floor pan.
[sig]3580[/sig]
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

It can be repaired. I'd be tempted to fit a new full leg this side though. Check the bulkhead X member for bulging or denting, plus the screen pillars and maybe even the front joint of the roof.
All panels are available for this work, but measure them as best you can against the ones you have as some of then seem to have different fold lines, are either smaller than originals (inner domed wing) or longer than original (some tie plates.
Make plenty of measurements to get the legs parallel and support the car so that this front corner doesn't drop.

ADO16
Minor Fan

Post by ADO16 »

This is a picture of the screen pillar that I have to fix as well as various other parts where it was hit. I will have lots to do on this side! The two front chassis rails plus the center crossmember and complete floor will also have to be put right, so there's big fun ahead. The challenge will be to keep everything square.
Thank you for the input, but I will need lots more as time passes!<br>Image<br>
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

That should keep you busy!! As long as you can get the body alignment and the doors to open and close and can get any replacement panels then you have a chance. Make sure that you have bracing struts welded in if you have to chop panels out.
Best of luck.
[sig]3580[/sig]
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

It can be repaired. I'd be tempted to fit a new full leg this side though. Check the bulkhead X member for bulging or denting, plus the screen pillars and maybe even the front joint of the roof.
Also common is bulging/distortion of the bulkhead, near the edges above the inner wing domed area.

If you're doing the car for sentimental reasons, then that's understandable. However if it's just a project, would it be worth to find another with a better shell to start with?
A few decades ago I started a major resto on a 4 door before finding out that the rear end was quite distorted from an old crash. The project was a useful learning curve (I did a half floor, full sill and complete crossmember and was about to start the other side) but the damage at the rear made it an easy decision to quit and cut my losses
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
ADO16
Minor Fan

Post by ADO16 »

rayofleamington wrote:
Also common is bulging/distortion of the bulkhead, near the edges above the inner wing domed area.

If you're doing the car for sentimental reasons, then that's understandable. However if it's just a project, would it be worth to find another with a better shell to start with?
A few decades ago I started a major resto on a 4 door before finding out that the rear end was quite distorted from an old crash. The project was a useful learning curve (I did a half floor, full sill and complete crossmember and was about to start the other side) but the damage at the rear made it an easy decision to quit and cut my losses
I can't disagree with you more but I'm somewhat determined to at least try to restore this one only because of it's rarity here in the states. Believe me, if I could find a better body to start with I would not hesitate to. I do have a friend in Seattle, Washington that is an extremely talented bodyman that I will ask for a second opinion now that some question has come up. The nice thing is I really don't have very much invested into this car if I have to cut it loose.

Thanks, and I do respect your opinion on it!

Steve
Last edited by ADO16 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ADO16
Minor Fan

Post by ADO16 »

Here's another picture of the bad corner that's part of the bulkhead.<br>Image<br>
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

here's a competition ,whats the car behind the moggie,Hilman imp maybe :-? don't let on yet addo
ADO16
Minor Fan

Post by ADO16 »

kennatt wrote:here's a competition ,whats the car behind the moggie,Hilman imp maybe :-? don't let on yet addo
Kennatt,
Do you need a hint yet? It's a MK1?
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

Austin 1100/1300 or Triumph Toledo?
Cardiff, UK
mmjosh
Minor Legend

Post by mmjosh »

mini clubman

Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Boeing 747?
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

ADO16
Minor Fan

Post by ADO16 »

Let me know when you give up! You'll be very surprised.
I've owned it for 20yrs (second owner) and it's next on the paint list as it's had a crappy paint job by the previous owner in the early 70's. The first owner passed the car around between 3 brothers that were going to college at the time so I was fortunate to buy it way under 100k.
I use to drive it 140mi. round trip to work daily when I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area so it has zero rust.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

daff 33 :o
ADO16
Minor Fan

Post by ADO16 »

kennatt wrote:daff 33 :o
Close, but no cigar!

Clue #2
They made over 1 million....but not this model.
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

One of the communist block rehashes of the Fiat range? FSO Polonez, Lada etc?
Cardiff, UK
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

nsu :-?
ADO16
Minor Fan

Post by ADO16 »

This one is close to your home, not an Eastern Euro box.
Clue #3

Was the Mini's nemesis on the track in the 60's!!
Veitchy
Minor Friendly

Post by Veitchy »

Lancia Fulvia or maybe Fiat Arbath ?