Is the timing chain endless?

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
linearaudio

Is the timing chain endless?

Post by linearaudio »

As the title suggests! I have a 5 metre box of the ubiquitous timing chain, and links. Is this OK to use, or does the high power application of the moggy engine dictate an endless chain?
ssnjimb
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by ssnjimb »

???
I own a 1974 MG Midget 1275 in Teal Blue "Midget" is what we call him and he is in very good to excellant condition "midget" is a Chrome bumper/Round Wheel arch model.
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

It has to join somewhere ......
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

Post moderated.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I think that the point was "Do Minor timing chains have a joining link or are they rivetted?"
[sig]3580[/sig]
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Linearaudio, I apologise on behalf of the post by StaffsMoggie. This forum is friendly and tries to answer all questions without stooping to insults. Hopefully a Mod will remove the ignorant and offensive comment quickly.

Yours is a perfectly reasonable question. A conventional bicycle chain has a joining link that is held together by a spring clip. Other chains are "endless" in that they have only fully riveted links with no joining link.

In theory, a joined timing chain should work, but I've only ever seen endless timing chains, and would be reluctant to "take a chance", bearing in mind the damage that a broken timing chain could cause. Perhaps an engine builder could comment further...
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Hopefully a Mod will remove the ignorant and offensive comment quickly.
Post moderated. Abusive language is not acceptable on this site.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I am inclined to agree that an endless chain is the correct type as they are prone to stretch over time and a link type would always be a weak point.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
millerman
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by millerman »

Would a profanity filter be a sensible addition to the forum :wink:
ssnjimb
Minor Fan

Post by ssnjimb »

i agree swear words should be automaticly ******* like that.
I own a 1974 MG Midget 1275 in Teal Blue "Midget" is what we call him and he is in very good to excellant condition "midget" is a Chrome bumper/Round Wheel arch model.
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

There already is a 'profanity' filter which works well. The posting did not contain a swear word but could have been considered offensive by those reading it. It was removed as soon as it was seen by a moderator. Just a reminder to everyone that this is a friendly site and we would like it to stay that way. Please adhere to the T&C's.

Now let's get back to the original topic.....

Eric - 1971 Traveller
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I have had a 'joined' timing duplex chain - and it worked perfectly well. Make sure however that the slightly raised ends of the joint link are positioned facing outwards - so there is no chance of them catching on anything! In industrial use - joined chains are perfectly acceptable - and no more prone to failure at the join than anywhere else. Use it!!
ImageImage
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

Thanks BMC (and most others :-? ). Didn't see the controversial comment, but I suppose I didn't perhaps phrase the question in a completely idiot-proof manner which may have caused confusion to some! It was my concern about the general rubbish quality of modern chain, amongst most other modern goods, which led to the query! I was considering using chain which I knew to be of reasonable standard. Think I'll go with it, the joiners being the more all-encompassing type rather than traditional bicycle type.
As for all chains having ends, I would challenge anyone to find the end of a factory assembled "endless" chain!
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

linearaudio wrote: I suppose I didn't perhaps phrase the question in a completely idiot-proof manner which may have caused confusion to some!
Well, you confused this idiot!! :lol:

I always miss the fun and games :cry: :lol:

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

It may be that you could use the correct length of chain off your roll and rivet the join. This is the proceedure on racing cycle chains for which there is a special tool. Admitted the failure consequences are not so severe.
I have a 5mtr box of fan belt which I use on my Series MM. I select the length I require, undo the joining link and link the two ends.
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes -I like the 'joined up' belts - but not seen them in the Minor section - I'm guessing your MM is much thicker section belt - based on Morris 8 I was looking at today! I suppose you just carry a couple of spare links with you!
ImageImage
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

mike.perry wrote:...I have a 5mtr box of fan belt which I use on my Series MM. I select the length I require, undo the joining link and link the two ends.
Is it the same pitch as the timing chain then?? (oh the joy of taking statements out of context :lol: )

And Dan- how can you say you miss all the fun and games? You've been the perpetrator of a couple of major ones in the "off topic" section :D
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The fan belt is "B" section as opposed to the later "A" section belts. It is made from some modern material, neoprene or something, and lasts for ever, well almost, which is why I am stuck with a box with 4 mtrs of the thing. :-?
[sig]3580[/sig]
GeoffC
Minor Fan

Post by GeoffC »

I think "for ever" is a bit optimistic - it'll only last until the day after you get rid of that 4 metres! :wink:
Geoff
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

ap

Post by StaffsMoggie »

An apology and explanation.

On the morning of Sunday 22/8 a post was made on this thread on my computer. Apparrently the post was offensive. One of the mods quite rightly removed it and contacted me. This took me by surprise as I had no idea what it was about. The post was made at 0412 while I was at work.

It turns out that the post was made by shall we say, a rather drunk person in the house while I was out working nights!! To say they have been spoken to is an understatement. It also proves that it is worth changing your password regularly.

Having finally got to the bottom of this I apologise for any offence caused.