Front Wheel Bearings

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
oilyfingers
MMOC Member: No

Post by oilyfingers »

Has anyone else had a problem with sloppy NEW wheel bearings.
I discovered a movement on the front wheel bearings and assumed that the balls had worn (the races still looked in reasonable condition though). I fitted a new bearing set (As far as I can see the right way round) and the slop is still there.
It looks as if there is a mis match between the spacer length and the hub dimensions. Presumably this is fairly critical otherwise tightening up the hub nut would sieze the bearings completly.

Any ideas
Willie
Minor Legend

Post by Willie »

Lo, yes, the spacer dimension is critical
and you do the nut up tight.
You will always find a small amount of play
rocking the wheel top and bottom. If you have not tightened the nut completely then
do so and it should finally seat the new parts. If you still have slop then perhaps
your spacer has been tampered with since there was slop with the original bearings too
Willie
oilyfingers

Post by oilyfingers »

Thanks. I'll go and do a check on the spacer, measuring the end float etc.

oilyfingers
Willie
Minor Legend

Post by Willie »

Lo Oily, I expect that you know that the
measurements are,or were originally, so exact
on the spacer and the ball races, that when
the nut was done up tightly there was very
little play at the wheel rims but the ball-
race INNER tracks were securely clamped to
the stub axle and could not revolve and wear
it out. I have had one set where the races
must have been slightly narrower than original so that when I did the nut up tight
it actually made the wheel right to turn!!
the answer was to add a shim to the spacer.
I cannot see someone increasing the length
of your spacer so I do not know where your
"wobble" is coming from.
Willie
Willie
Minor Legend

Post by Willie »

Sorry, that should read "made the wheel
TIGHT to turn"! Willie
Willie
Minor Legend

Post by Willie »

Sorry, that should read "made the wheel
TIGHT to turn"! Willie
Mobjak
Minor Friendly

Post by Mobjak »

Hello all, I am new to the MMOC and so this is my first post. I am working on a wheel bearing problem also and wanted to compare some notes if possible.

What type of hub assembly do you have Oilyfingers? One piece hub and drum (early) or two piece hub and drum(late). The reason I ask is that there is a difference in spacer size depending on which type you have.

I am currently trying to locate a spacer for a one piece drum/hub assembly which is roughly 1 and 3/8 inches long. The newer two piece drum/hub assembly i believe is about 1 and 1/2 inches long. I have made inquires into club spares and my have success there.

*chuckle* :wink:

I was just reviewing the previous post and noticed the date... 1969... I bet you have solved this problem looooonnnggg ago. Oh well, i'll post anyways.

Mobjak
Best Regards, Mike
1954 2 door saloon 'Roland'

"Checking the mail, waiting for parts!"
Mobjak
Minor Friendly

Post by Mobjak »

Hi all,

after posting the previous message, I realized something. What if the only wheel bearing spacer that I have in my car was a bodge? What if someone replaced the one with non-oem hardware and I was assuming it was the correct piece?

So, I felt that I needed to ask the question.

Can anyone confirm the length of the wheel bearing spacer on the early, one piece hub/drum as being 1 3/8 inches? I purchased one from Mini City LTD in the US and they sent me a 1 1/2 inch replacement. I sent it back, assuming the one I had was correct.

While on holiday in England, I stopped by DSN and I believe it was Steve showed me his stock of spacers, which was 1 1/2 inch in length.

Can anyone confirm the proper spacer length for me.

Thanks
Best Regards, Mike
1954 2 door saloon 'Roland'

"Checking the mail, waiting for parts!"
olonas

Front wheel bearings

Post by olonas »

Not much help this, but I've checked in the BMC workshop manual. The only reference in there is to the change in hub design, as mentioned (separate brake drum) and the use of a larger bearing. They don't state which bearing(s) or if increase is diameter or width. There is no mention whatsoever of a change in the spacer size. I wonder if it can be then safely assumed if the spacer has always been the same length?
olonas

Wheel bearings

Post by olonas »

Go to http://www.auto-part.com/auction.asp and into morris parts catalogue. It would appear that there was a change in the spacers etc. at car number 228268 :D