Page 1 of 1

Lever arm damper oil

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 4:18 pm
by jmk2g40
Just wanted to say I drained out the old damper oil which was smelly sludgy dark and nasty

Flushed through with clean sae 30 oil and replaced with sae 30 oil.
Oh my god what a difference it has made much more planted in the corners but stiff comfy ride so much better round bends than wallowy before.

I was going to fit front antiroll bar but I don’t need to now

A few months ago i poly bushes the front end also and that made a huge difference also.
This is a must and all 4 dampers only use tiny bit of oil

Re: Lever arm damper oil

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 6:02 pm
by myoldjalopy
These cars were famous for how well they handled on the road.Much better to change the damper oil than fit anti-roll bars! :wink:

Re: Lever arm damper oil

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 8:23 pm
by 59Elva
You mean all my Minors that felt like they were going to flip over coming off the interstate exit ramps just needed a lever shock oil change?

Re: Lever arm damper oil

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 10:12 pm
by simmitc
No, that's just American roads :D :D :D

Re: Lever arm damper oil

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 10:21 pm
by 59Elva
Hmmmm… you might have something there. Maybe UK cars are biased towards left hand exits not right.😉
I thought it might be the 145-14 tires but the same wheels and tires felt pretty solid when mounted on my ‘59 Elva Courier.

Re: Lever arm damper oil

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 10:55 pm
by svenedin
59Elva wrote: ↑Sun Oct 04, 2026 8:23 pm You mean all my Minors that felt like they were going to flip over coming off the interstate exit ramps just needed a lever shock oil change?
In the UK our motorways do not have the design of entry and exit lanes like they have in the USA and Germany. I have driven my Minor on the German Autobahns and the cloverleaf type interchanges are rather terrifying. The bends are tight! We would use a roundabout in these circumstances. Then there are relatively short entry lanes in Germany where getting up to speed to join the Autobahn is a challenge. I have ended up running out of lane and straddling the hard shoulder still trying to join. The main reason I couldn't join was cars behind me instantly pulling out to overtake so that I could not move over.

Stephen