Page 1 of 1

cracks in metal around door hinge

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 12:44 pm
by AdrianH
Not had car long and the drivers door had already dropped. Lower hinge pin very warn so purchased 2 new hinges and bolts with intention of fitting them myself. However on close inspection before starting I noticed cracks around the top door hinge - probably metal fatigue from door slamming flexing the metal. I will need a professional repair now but any advice please on how this should be carried out? I guess its not just a weld up job but strengthening inside of door skin in hinge areas or are new hinge panel inserts available?

Re: cracks in metal around door hinge

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 3:39 pm
by philthehill
Personally if the door is as badly cracked as you appear to suggest I would be thinking about getting another door - one without the cracking.
Unless you know of someone who could do the welding for you cheaply any welding and repair work is going to cost.
Therefore a S/H door may be the way forward.