Page 1 of 1

Marina stub axles into Minor Swivel Pins

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2026 7:09 pm
by glokkk
Hello from Oz. When machining Minor uprights to fit Marina stub axles for the disc brake conversion, should the Marina axles be a press fit or interference fit into the uprights?
I am hoping Philthehill can advise, as l note he has made this modification succesfully. :roll:

Re: Marina stub axles into Minor Swivel Pins

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2026 8:55 pm
by philthehill
The Marina stub axles should be a slight interference fit into the Minor swivel.
The Marina stub axle is 1 & 1/16" O.D.
The 'Fits and Tolerances' chart I have states:-
For a 'Force Fit' ..... 1 & 1/16" to 2" O.D. shaft a low limit of 0.003" to a high limit of 0.004".
For a 'Drive Fit' ..... the chart also quotes for the same dia shaft a low limit of 0.00100" to a high 0.001500".
Whilst I cannot quote the specific interference sizing for the Marina stub axle as I paid an engineering company to do the machining and fitting for me the above details should give some food for thought. I would suggest that the interference fit should be around 0.001500" to 0.002"
But that said the Minor stub axles were pressed out of the Minor swivel with very little pressure when using my 10 ton hydraulic press.
You will need a Mr Grumpy's top hat spacer with the bearing seat removed to make up the difference in seal sizing.
Marina stub axle.JPG
Marina stub axle.JPG (1014.84 KiB) Viewed 19 times