Page 1 of 1
ÑOS Lockheed brake shoes
Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2026 7:13 pm
by Bill_qaz
Just picked up a set of nos Genuine Lockheed 7" riveted brake shoes to put on the rear. (Marina disc front) The pattern ones seem to generate lots of black dust.
Has anyone any experience of these brake shoes on your minor?
Yes I know they're asbestos

after years maintaining buses where we relined and riveted the shoes , I'm well aware of the precautions.

Re: ÑOS Lockheed brake shoes
Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2026 8:03 pm
by King Kenny
They were all you could get in the old days. When they wear down the rivet heads gouge two slots in the drum. Ask me how I know???
Re: ÑOS Lockheed brake shoes
Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2026 8:24 pm
by Bill_qaz
King Kenny wrote: ↑Fri Jul 31, 2026 8:03 pm
They were all you could get in the old days. When they wear down the rivet heads gouge two slots in the drum. Ask me how I know???
Kenny I grew up when all brake shoes were riveted
But no poor quality bonding to fail
Take me a long time to wear down to the rivets and I have got into the routine of taking the drums off each time I adjust the rears

Re: ÑOS Lockheed brake shoes
Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2026 10:48 pm
by svenedin
I use Mintex/Ferrodo which are long out of manufacture. These are later, bonded and yes they contain asbestos. The performance is excellent and I have sufficient shoes to see out my stewardship of my Minor. Use them but observe all reasonable precautions. Mine are later, bonded shoes because that’s my era. My front brakes are Wolseley 9” and I had the shoes re-lined to match with the closest modern materials.
Stephen
Re: ÑOS Lockheed brake shoes
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2026 12:05 am
by Bill_qaz
"Use them but observe all reasonable precautions."
Kind of you to be concerned Stephen.
I've been in the vehicle industry since 1968 all clutches brakes and most gaskets contained asbestos for many years.
I remember in the 70s working in a bus garage when one morning we were all issued with a bucket and hand pump to spray down the brake shoes during relining the brakes.
Better late than never I suppose

Re: ÑOS Lockheed brake shoes
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2026 12:58 am
by 59Elva
During the fauchi flu fiasco the N95 mask was being touted as the preferred personal protection. The box explicitly stated “not for asbestos”. If it wouldn’t stop asbestos fibers it certainly wouldn’t stop the much smaller virus. Short of a true respirator probably not much you could do.
Re: ÑOS Lockheed brake shoes
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2026 9:58 am
by stuffedpike20
59Elva wrote: ↑Sat Aug 01, 2026 12:58 am
During the fauchi flu fiasco the N95 mask was being touted as the preferred personal protection. The box explicitly stated “not for asbestos”. If it wouldn’t stop asbestos fibers it certainly wouldn’t stop the much smaller virus. Short of a true respirator probably not much you could do.
Lots of Fauchi stuff on youtube at the moment. It seems that if you are a Democrat you love him, and if you are a Republican you hate him.
Is it as simple as that in the USA?
Sorry to hijack thread.
Re: ÑOS Lockheed brake shoes
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2026 11:03 am
by svenedin
Bill_qaz wrote: ↑Sat Aug 01, 2026 12:05 am
"Use them but observe all reasonable precautions."
Kind of you to be concerned Stephen.
I've been in the vehicle industry since 1968 all clutches brakes and most gaskets contained asbestos for many years.
I remember in the 70s working in a bus garage when one morning we were all issued with a bucket and hand pump to spray down the brake shoes during relining the brakes.
Better late than never I suppose
I know. It was not aimed specifically at you but it is a public forum and it can be searched, read and referenced years from now. When my uncle's mechanic friend taught me the basics on my Minor (and his Morris Eight) he told me how they used to blow out clutch and brake dust with compressed air, filling the workshop with clouds of dust. Whatever the composition of the dust, this is a bad idea. Many years ago I saw people dying of mesothelioma (the type of lung cancer caused by asbestos exposure). This is a very painful condition with a very poor prognosis. Some of these people had massive asbestos exposure having worked for years stripping out the boiler rooms of ships. An enclosed, poorly ventilated space where heavy exposure was guaranteed. Others had no direct exposure to asbestos but they also developed mesothelioma. It was assumed that they were exposed by their father bringing the asbestos into the home on their work clothes. So it is wise to be careful with such things.
Stephen
Re: ÑOS Lockheed brake shoes
Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2026 10:32 am
by Bill_qaz
Can admin please move these political posts to another section.
I'm 100% sure brake shoes, asbestos or not, have nothing to do with covid or politics.
This has gone way off topic and my original question

Re: ÑOS Lockheed brake shoes
Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2026 11:46 am
by stuffedpike20
Bill_qaz wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 10:32 am
Can admin please move these political posts to another section.
I'm 100% sure brake shoes, asbestos or not, have nothing to do with covid or politics.
This has gone way off topic and my original question
Sorry Bill. I won't do it again.
Back to brake shoes. I remember years ago having to file bits off the linings ,and even then having to hammer the drums back on when fitting new shoes.
Now the modern shoes go straight on, and there is hardly enough adjustment on the snail cam to get anywhere near locking the drum up.
I preferred the old shoes!