Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Lee96
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Coolant

Post by Lee96 »

Hi,

I can see from looking online that I need ethylene glycol coolant without OAT, and bluecol is recommended however there are lots of grades of bluecol and I don't understand what they mean. I've seen OE33, OE30/34, OE40PLUS, OE48 etc... and lots of them show that they do have OAT.

I have also seen Morris Lubricants MEG based coolant. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314447863404 ... 44df449d79

Can anyone tell me a specific product that will be OK, preferably one they have used successfully in their car please?
1967 blue Minor 1098 2 door saloon
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Coolant

Post by oliver90owner »

These engines are old. Any decent antifreeze will do. Don’t try to be overly prescriptive about it.

OAT is a modern fleet product additive which likely costs more but lasts longer.

Many would have use methanol based antifreeze back in the day.

That the container has Morris printed on it is nothing to do with Morris cars. Morris sell lubricants and all sorts of products.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Basil the 1955 series II

Lee96
Minor Friendly

Post by Lee96 »

geoberni wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:31 pm See here: viewtopic.php?p=694582#p694582
Thanks, that is a better explanation than I've found so far, basically use ethylene glycol and dont put OAT or HOAT in it. Is there a specific product that you have used, as all the bluecol I can find online says its HOAT?

I know that Morris coolant isn't anything to do with Morris cars, but is that something that can work safely?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I'm not so sure that Tetrosyl, under the Bluecol brand, market a traditional IAT 2yr coolant any longer.They've certainly changed the packaging and descriptions. The BLA001 or BLA005, which their marketing manager quoted to me are no longer listed.
But under the Carplan brand they do, it's Carplan Blue Star; they also do one under the Autochem brand.

See both pages of this link for their selection:
https://www.tetrosylexpress.com/catalog ... antifreeze
Basil the 1955 series II

Lee96
Minor Friendly

Post by Lee96 »

geoberni wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 5:51 pm I'm not so sure that Tetrosyl, under the Bluecol brand, market a traditional IAT 2yr coolant any longer.They've certainly changed the packaging and descriptions. The BLA001 or BLA005, which their marketing manager quoted to me are no longer listed.
But under the Carplan brand they do, it's Carplan Blue Star; they also do one under the Autochem brand.

See both pages of this link for their selection:
https://www.tetrosylexpress.com/catalog ... antifreeze
Thank you, youve been a big help. I'll order some of that carplan blue star now.