Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Biggles1957
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Hedlamps

Post by Biggles1957 »

Anyone used the Tudor H$ headlamp conversions? I know Wipac Quadoptics throw a really good pattern but the lenses are flat and I don't think they look right on a moggie. The Tudor ones have domed lenses, as do the ones from ESM I think...
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Hedlamps

Post by svenedin »

I used Lucas lenses to covert from sealed beam. These are domed and basically look the same as the sealed beams. Dipped performance is adequate but they are superb on full beam.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

Thanks - I've only just noticed that autocorrect failed to spot my omission of the letter 'a' in my title! Haha!
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

I believe mine are Wipac, take halogen bulbs and also have provision for side light in headlight. They give a decent beam on main and dip.
20240229_131157.jpg
20240229_131157.jpg (29.71 KiB) Viewed 559 times
Regards Bill
Guildbass
Minor Fan

Post by Guildbass »

I'm interested in this as I want to replace the sealed beams with H4 ready lamps then use Philips LED bulbs as I still have a dynamo.
As the lens pattern is critical to beam quality I was wondering which was best. Hella seem commonly available but if there is a better design I'd go for that.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I still have a dynamo and the car is still positive earth. After replacing the sealed beams with Lucas lens-reflectors I eventually changed to LED headlight bulbs from https://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/ Dipped performance is better than sealed beams but not remarkable. Full beam is extremely good. There are 3 advantages as I see it to using LED headlights. The light output is better, there is less load on an elderly wiring loom and the dynamo is more than capable of supplying sufficient power. The LED bulbs that I used are as easy to fit as a halogen bulb. There is no ballast or additional wiring. The just go straight in. Originality is very easily restored if wanted.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Guildbass
Minor Fan

Post by Guildbass »

svenedin wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:19 am I still have a dynamo and the car is still positive earth. After replacing the sealed beams with Lucas lens-reflectors I eventually changed to LED headlight bulbs from https://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/ Dipped performance is better than sealed beams but not remarkable. Full beam is extremely good. There are 3 advantages as I see it to using LED headlights. The light output is better, there is less load on an elderly wiring loom and the dynamo is more than capable of supplying sufficient power. The LED bulbs that I used are as easy to fit as a halogen bulb. There is no ballast or additional wiring. The just go straight in. Originality is very easily restored if wanted.

Stephen
Exactly my thoughts. I quite want to use Philips Ultinon Classics, they do a 3500 kelvin colour LED which is 80% brighter than halogen but the same colour temperature. I also quite like the idea of a proper white light at 6000k so a bit torn right now!
Guildbass
Minor Fan

Post by Guildbass »

Biggles1957 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:27 am Anyone used the Tudor H$ headlamp conversions? I know Wipac Quadoptics throw a really good pattern but the lenses are flat and I don't think they look right on a moggie. The Tudor ones have domed lenses, as do the ones from ESM I think...
I've just fitted the Tudor kit, which includes the backing domes and new chrome bezels.
I also fitted a pair of Philips 'Classic' LED H4 lamps which give a more realistic 'halogen coloured, light but still nearly double the light output of a 60w halogen. With a dynamo, the 20w power consumption was key.
The kit was...meh
The domes are plastic, which is fine but fitting the new bezel was a right sod. Instead of a retaining screw, they are 'popped' over four raised lugs on the front flange of the plastic domes and are pretty difficult to seat.
The glass lamps have to be fitted with their retaining ring so that has to be removed from the domes first and best judgement used to ensure the lamp is aligned within them. The three retaining clips on each ring are held in place by self tappers and do not hold firmly, allowing the lamp to be loose. Judicial bending of the clips is needed.

With the bezel off, adjustment is straight forward but I'm going to get the car up onto a straight flat road to get the side to side orientation spot on to ensure main beam 'throw' is optimised... Which means I am going to have to get those bezels off again.....
Over all, I was not too impressed with the kit, but I'll reserve judgement on the quality of the lamp focusing until I've done the final tweaking.

right... It got dark so car and dog went out onto the top (Cow Drove, near Chilmark off the A303) to set up the beams.

Back in the '80's I saw that Police traffic cars had their dip beams set up to light the rear of a saloon car like a Cortina, without going above the boot lid, and this corresponds to the highest MOT permissible setting, so that's how I set my lights...you get a long flat dip beam throw and a parallel main beam...

So, on the Tudors,

A decently clear cutout on dip is visible against a wall or fence allowing both lamps to be set up for height. The 'ramp' up on the nearside is similarly visible although far clearer on the nearside lamp. Main beam throw initially hits the road pretty much where dip finishes on the road, and puts a big blob of light right down the road.
I don't think they'll be any better than anything else, and probably not as good as some, but with the Philips Ultinon 'bulbs' in, there's LOADS of light and it seems to go in the right direction. I'm more than happy
Still got to put the bloody bezels on though...
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

That a brilliant Guildbass - many thanks for a great write up! I've been told the Wipac Quadoptics are a domed lens (I thought they were flat but that was long time ago) and the Lucas Classic ones look right and apparently have a good beam pattern - but the ones that look very much like sealed beam units only seem to be available for BPF bulbs. I'm going to see if I can have a proper look at the rally in a week or so...
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

I bought a pair of these many years ago but never fitted them. The lens is slightly domed. I don't think as much as the fitted Lucas Sealed Beams though.
lamp1.jpg
lamp1.jpg (125.74 KiB) Viewed 348 times
lamp2.jpg
lamp2.jpg (146.57 KiB) Viewed 348 times
lamp3.jpg
lamp3.jpg (108.83 KiB) Viewed 348 times
Guildbass
Minor Fan

Post by Guildbass »

Biggles1957 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:31 am That a brilliant Guildbass - many thanks for a great write up! I've been told the Wipac Quadoptics are a domed lens (I thought they were flat but that was long time ago) and the Lucas Classic ones look right and apparently have a good beam pattern - but the ones that look very much like sealed beam units only seem to be available for BPF bulbs. I'm going to see if I can have a proper look at the rally in a week or so...
I think the best part of the conversion wa the Philips LED's. They are the Philips Ultinon Classic. They are the ''halogen yellow' light colour version of the entry level Ultinon and are a drop in replacement for an H4, as are the 'white light ones. they have micro fans built in but the fans are very tucked away in the body of the lamp. Not the cheapest in the world but a huge difference in light output and of course at just 20watts, easily handled by a generator, AND they work with positive earth as well as negative earth cars!