Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rose taupe
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

split personality wiper arms

Post by Rose taupe »

I am having trouble finding wiper arms for my 63 Minor, the arms for the 63-onward models are too long and the arms for the split screen models have a smaller spline, It is a problem knowing what to buy as anyone with this model will know, this is a clap hands car but not a split screen :roll: I can't be the only one who has had this trouble.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: split personality wiper arms

Post by myoldjalopy »

If the split-screen and Oct 63 onward arms are not right, I think these are what you need: https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... 21-p829085
and: https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... 19-p829086
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Be careful, the wipers posted by Old jalopy will be the right length but they are effectively Mini wipers which will wipe the screen effectively as the springs are great.

The trouble is that they tend to foul on the bonnet when it is opened.

There are plenty of original Series III wiper arms available - usually at auto jumbles where there is quite a lot of new old stock.

Or eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176341088406 ... B222304670&
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

firedrake1942 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:10 pm Be careful, the wipers posted by Old jalopy will be the right length but they are effectively Mini wipers which will wipe the screen effectively as the springs are great.

The trouble is that they tend to foul on the bonnet when it is opened.

There are plenty of original Series III wiper arms available - usually at auto jumbles where there is quite a lot of new old stock.

Or eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176341088406 ... B222304670&
Not a problem I have, since Basil is a SII, but the part numbers AHH 5419/5421 were used on other cars of the period with clap-hand design, e.g. MGA, because they are cranked 15 deg for the opposite sides of the screen.

I don't see how they could be for the Mk1 Mini, since both wipers went the same direction, unless the Mini used 2 of the same LH side one, AHH5421... :-?
Personally, I thought the Mini Arms were longer than the Minor ones.
Basil the 1955 series II

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

In many old types the arm length could be changed slightly, pushing it into the body or pulling it out in a form of interference fit. Modern versions are fixed as to length with a rivet.

Although the esm type are made for the Minor they are adapted from the Mini ones so the bit that fits over the splines is fatter / deeper causing the foul on opening the bonnet and the arm body is wider.

I have seen them work well where the bonnet is set forward slightly.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

firedrake1942 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:15 am In many old types the arm length could be changed slightly, pushing it into the body or pulling it out in a form of interference fit. Modern versions are fixed as to length with a rivet.

Although the esm type are made for the Minor they are adapted from the Mini ones so the bit that fits over the splines is fatter / deeper causing the foul on opening the bonnet and the arm body is wider.

I have seen them work well where the bonnet is set forward slightly.
:tu1: :tu1:
Basil the 1955 series II