Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moggiethouable
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

heater hoses

Post by moggiethouable »

Great service from ESM with a next day delivery of a pair of heater hoses for my 1965 model.
Any hints or tips on fitment warmly welcomed please?
Thank you.
Where angels fear to tread
simmitc

Re: heater hoses

Post by simmitc »

You might find it easier to fit the hoses if you drop the front of the parcel shelf, just one screw by each door pillar, that gives much better access to the clips/pipes on the heater. Apart from that, a smear of Vaseline on the stubs before sliding the hoses over the studs will make it easier next time. Also, fully expand the clips and fit them to the hoses before pushing the hoses into place - much better than distorting the clips by opening them to slip over hoses already in place.

Removing the air intake hose can also help with access, it just depends on how nimble-fingered you are - you'd then have to refit that as well :-?

Take the hose from the back of the block through the top hole on the bulkhead and to the top pipe on the heater.
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Re: heater hoses

Post by moggiethouable »

Thanks for that.
In the end I removed one side of the heater, the bit that blows on your feet and the drivers side glove box,that gave me better access.
On replacing the heater on off valve, the mounting bracket on the new one fouls the rocker box cover, which I removed for access to the valve.
I ground the bracket down to fit.
its worth noting that there is an interface plate between the valve and the engine, so two gaskets are needed.
Anyways up, she's running and not leaking, so thats one less thing to think about, I believe the pipes had been on there since 1965, so it was not before time.
Fiddly and time consuming, but worth it.
Thanks to Chris Bransby of Tom Roy fame for pointing it out.
Where angels fear to tread