Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Oil leak near distributor?

Post by svenedin »

I was fiddling with the distributor today and I noticed the underside was wet with oil. I removed the distributor (which is recently overhauled) and found fresh engine oil on the underside. I removed the distributor and see that oil may be coming from the area indicated (I am sorry the photo is not very sharp).

The o-ring seal on the distributor is new. Before overhaul the distributor was very oily and I noticed that the starter motor below is also oily. This has been leaking for a very long time.

What is it that is leaking?

Stephen
IMG_8696.jpeg
IMG_8696.jpeg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 2575 times
Last edited by svenedin on Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Oil leak near distributor?

Post by philthehill »

To overcome oil leakage in this area BL latterly fitted a 'O' ring (Pt No: 13H2792) to the distributer housing tube. This requires the later distributer housing tube (Pt No: 12A1136) which has the groove to accommodate the 'O' ring.
Here is a 12A1136 distributer housing tube for sale on 'e' bay. The 'O' ring can be clearly seen.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334748433649 ... R96f2cndYQ

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Thanks Phil. My distributor has an O-ring on the stem of the distributor and I replaced it with a new one but it obviously still leaks. What is the nut for in my photo (arrowed)? Looking at your eBay link presumably it's not a nut but a machine screw that holds in the distributor housing tube? Is oil just collecting there or coming from there? If I got hold of the housing with the O-ring is it a simple job to swap?

Stephen
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The distributer housing tube with 'O' ring is an easy job to swop.
The bolt arrowed holds the distributer housing tube in place.
There should not be any oil coming up past the bolt threads but I would smear some Loctite Loc and Seal on the bolt threads when fitting.

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Thank you very much Phil. I will fit the updated distributor tube. Without your knowledge I would have had no idea. I thought the oil was leaking past the distributor stem O-ring and I was on the wrong track! It has been leaking there for the last 34 years. Better late than never :lol:

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Incidentally, do I need to drain the oil from the engine before I replace this tube?

Stephen
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You do not need to drain any oil from the engine before you replace the tube.

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Thank you Phil.

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Here is the updated part ready for fitting with a new o-ring. Hopefully the end of the oil leak
IMG_8713.jpeg
IMG_8713.jpeg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 2435 times

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I feel a bit silly now. I took the old tube out to find it is already the type with an O-ring! Never mind, the O-ring was obviously old and letting oil by. I fitted the new part and sealed the thread of the securing bolt with Loctite.

Old part:
IMG_8714.jpeg
IMG_8714.jpeg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 2427 times

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

It's 6 weeks since I fitted the new distributor tube with a new O-ring. I checked the distributor today and the underside is wet with oil again. I have not sorted this leak out. Not sure what else I can do. I did use Loctite on the bolt as well. Perhaps I was too mean with the Loctite. Maybe I'll have to resort to some instant gasket sealant. Looking at the new O-ring (13H2792) it doesn't seem much better than the old one. It's hard to see how the O-ring is going to stop oil.

Stephen
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Are you sure that the oil is coming past the 'O' ring?
Oil could be coming up and out past the distributer drive shaft and running down the tube.
When fitting the tube fitted with the 'O' ring you should feel some resistance when entering the tube into the block.
If there is no resistance the 'O' ring is the wrong size.
With the 'O' ring fitted to both tube and distributer there is no way oil can get past the distributer other than up the distributer drive shaft.
I would also investigate as to whether you have excessive crankcase pressure which would result in oil being pushed out under even a little pressure.
Did you lubricate the 'O' rings before fitting? The 'O' ring must be lubricated with preferably red grease.

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Might not be coming from there, it isn’t a usual source of leakage. Look at the oil filter feed and pressure switch etc which are in the vicinity. Oil could be tracking from another source and collecting at the dist. drive.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Hello Phill,

Both the tube and distributor drive shaft have new O-rings and yes I lubricated with red grease before installing. Both O-rings came from reputable suppliers but neither of them protrude much or offer much resistance on installation. Regarding crankcase compression this is a distinct possibility. The engine breathing is as good as it can be but it is the original engine which has never had any kind of rebuild at all and is somewhere round the 150,000 mile mark I think (but I’d have to dig out old paperwork; speedo is not original). It’s only a matter of time before the engine needs a total rebuild. I am gentle with it in its dotage. We rarely exceed 60 mph these days. 30 years ago I’d often take it off the clock. That was probably a bit unkind but I was young then.

Stephen

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:35 am Might not be coming from there, it isn’t a usual source of leakage. Look at the oil filter feed and pressure switch etc which are in the vicinity. Oil could be tracking from another source and collecting at the dist. drive.
Thank you. It’s collecting on the underside of the distributor body. Fresh (clean actually) engine oil. Hmm you’re right I’ll try to see if it’s leaking from somewhere else. Quite hard to see around there but I’m going to do the tie bars today so I’ll have a good look in daylight which is much better than garage lighting.

Stephen

Stephen
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I have just fitted a new 'O' ring seal Pt No: 13H2792 to a good distributer housing (Pt No: 12A1136) with the machined seal groove and there is a distinct resistance to the distributor housing entering the block with the seal fitted and smeared with red grease.
There is no way the oil will get past seal Pt No: 13H2792 unless the block is worn and that is highly unlikely.
The seal that is fitted to the distributer is Pt No: 513682A.

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I have had a good look and I cannot see oil leaking from anywhere else. It may be that the O-ring I bought to go on the distributor tube was old so I have ordered another and will try again.

Stephen
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I think that you are wise to try a new seal.
These are the ones I have and tried on the 12A1136 distributer housing.
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... o%20search
Unfortunately out of stock at the moment but here are some genuine BL seals:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314377977531 ... m4ulmqIm'e' bayPEud20J98uKu5go2O6LwDbIA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_qrhPr8YQ which are available on 'e' bay

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I have just got round to fitting the new seal. Phil, as you said, there was distinct resistance on fitting the sleeve into the block with the new seal. The first "new" seal that I used must have been old and tired. Fingers crossed.

Stephen

Stephen