Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mikec4193
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

upgraded lug nuts and studs???

Post by mikec4193 »

Hi Morris Minor folks

I am looking for a kit that might be available to change out these lug nuts and studs for a coarse thread...

I think I stripped one out on the front of the William Leo Columbus (1959 Morris Minor)...

I tighten all my lug nuts with a 4 way not a air impact...I had the same exact problem with the upper spindle mounts on this car...I had to buy a second pair of upper spindle mounts and very gingerly tighten the nuts on them....

Fine threads on a lug nut is something I have never seen before...

Any insight would be awesome.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: upgraded lug nuts and studs???

Post by philthehill »

Why do you want to change something that is perfectly serviceable? The 3/8" UNF fine threads on the lugg nuts & studs are perfectly alright and should raise no concern as to their use.
I have run 7J wide wheels, sticky racing tyres and around 135bhp plus at the flywheel and the studs/wheel nuts have never given any problems.
The most important thing is that you have the right wheel studs/nuts for the wheels.
You appear to have similar 3/8" UNF studs as fitted to my Minor which has the Morris Marina disc brake conversion. You state in an earlier post that the hubs and disk brakes are from a MG Midget which has the same 3/8" UNF studs as the Minor. The Marina has slightly beefed up studs but still 3/8" UNF.
Grumpy hub 2.jpg
Grumpy hub 2.jpg (59 KiB) Viewed 352 times
Your upper spindle mount thread damage was caused by trying to fit the wrong nut i.e. a coarse nut on a fine thread - not by overtightening.

mikec4193
Minor Friendly

Post by mikec4193 »

Hi Philthehill

I have fought with this car since the day I bought it...I scratch my chin a lot when I am working on it...I guess I must be a the preverbal "Bull in the china shop"...these fine thread on this ole heap has driven me crazy...

I am still amazed that there were so many of these cars were built and no one strips these fine threads...even my old VW's from years gone by I never stripped any of them...and on this car I even stripped the upper spindle mount as I tried to get it together...

If I get back to work on this ole heap...I think I want to ditch the aluminum wheels as I fight so hard to mount the wheels every time...
I knew Sunday as I was mounting the four wheels back on the car I was gonna strip at least one...

Are there any tricks to mount these wheels??

Thanks in advance

MikeC
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I never have a problem mounting the 7J aluminium Minilite copy wheels fitted to my Minor. The studs/nuts are 3/8" UNF. The nuts are cone shaped which fit into a concave hollow in the outer facer of the wheel. The 6J wet weather tyre are mounted on genuine Revolution wheels and are secured with sleeve nuts and again never a problem to fit.
My wheel nuts are initially tightened by hand and then given a final tighten with a torque wrench.
The mounting holes of your alloy wheels have been played around with (see separate post) which may be the cause of your wheel mounting problems.
My advice is to ditch the wheels you have and to fit a set of wheels that have not had the mounting holes played around with.
The PCD of the Midget hubs you have fitted is 4 " imperial. Any other PCD is incorrect. 100mm PCD can be made to fit but is not correct and dangerous as the studs are overly stressed and likely to fail.
In response to a PM question from mikec4193 - here is my Minor with me at the wheel leaving the start line with a full power standing start with the 7Js fitted, mounted with slick tyres secured by 3/8" UNF studs:-
Leaving the line Gurston.jpg
Leaving the line Gurston.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 291 times
Lovely jubbly 8)