Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
owenmorris
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Electronic Ignition

Post by owenmorris »

I am thinking about fitting electronic ignition to my 1961 Morris Minor 1000, could I have your thoughts on this and what is the best type to use.
Thanks, Bernard.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Re: Electronic Ignition

Post by dalebrignall »

ive got the accuspark system it works well for me
[sig]5641[/sig]
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

A lot of people who do this sort of things, tend to carry the original points just in case. Don't know if that tells you something!

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

If one just gets about an extra mile to the gallon and do 5k miles per annum, it is well worth carrying a spare electronic module rather than a set of points, as electronic systems are better (and likely more reliable) than the Kettering system. It is just that when they die they are not usually able to be resuscitated. And like alternators, they will not tolerate revers voltage connection.

Of course, there are cheap and cheerful systems right through to the far more expensive programmable ones (which are likely superior in reliability than the cheapest offerings).

Think here of how many new vehicles are fitted with contact points - that might tell you something!

I built my first electronic (capacitive discharge) system, using a kit, back in about 1974. It never let me down although it started well but ran out of steam at around 5500rpm, or, after modifying, was more difficult to fire up but would fire consistently well beyond 6000rpm They have improved since.

No points and no condenser to worry about, but one needs good plug leads!

RAB
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I have the Luminition Optronic ignition system on my Minor and it has never failed or let me down.
It was easy to install and has given good service.
Last edited by philthehill on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes your reply tells me a lot! :roll:

KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

We fitted Petronix electronic ignition to our 1959 Traveller over a year ago and so far no issues. I can't say we have noticed massive improvements in performance or fuel consumption but it does run smoother that it did before.

We ordered it online from Distributor Doctor http://www.distributordoctor.com/lucas- ... ition.html).

hornet964

Post by hornet964 »

Record shows I fitted Lumenition magnetronic kit 13 years ago. Haven't touched it since and it hasn't missed a beat in 35k miles.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

On the other hand, I've stuck with standard points ignition for 45years and not any problem with that either....... A few minutes of maintenance is required every year or two and it is important when replacing parts to use good quality - NOT the cheapest stuff you could find on the internet....

The choice is yours!