Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
greendefender123
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Popping out of 1st

Post by greendefender123 »

Hello Could anyone please advise. My moggie jumps out of 1st after awhile. Normal driving you wouldn't notice as you normally slip into second straight away, but with the steep hills we have here you do notice. Its almost becoming a problem because I'm entering a classic tour here in august.

Speaking to the previous owner he says the gearbox is a rebuilt one. Backed up by being a goldseal and I have the paperwork for it. He said he never left it with the handbrake on only in 1st. So basically it was sat for 30 years in 1st gear. Any ideas what its likely to be?

Iv got a spare smooth gearbox but I doubt this will last long behind the 1098 engine.

Thanks alot Steve
biomed32uk
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Popping out of 1st

Post by biomed32uk »

If it has sat in 1st for a long time the springs under the detent balls in the gear hub will have become compressed I reckon, that is why its jumping out.

Gearbox strip down to swap them out I am afraid.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Ah fair enough thanks. Will probably stick another one in it till I sort it as iv never done much to gearboxes apart from bearings.
arjay
Minor Friendly

Post by arjay »

Mine has the same problem, jumping out under acceleration. It nearly jumps into second, which would have its benefits. Rebuild by a well-advertised supplier. Unfortunately I bought it during a major refurbishment and it was well out of warranty (and out of the country) by the time I finished the job. Note for self: don't buy the parts too early...
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Oh yeah its just annoying as it fine for normal driving but dosent like being in 1st for more than a few hundred yards. Hopefully I can just change the springs easily. Hopefully I can find a guide somewhere for it. I don't know whether to ask on here for second hand parts or to try and buy new. I'm sure I worry about jobs more than I need to.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

There was a really good gearbox rebuild feature here once, I seem to have lost the link. Get new bits if you can, no point risking doing the job twice, which is the risk with used parts.

greendefender123
Minor Addict

Thanks les always prefer buying new when the quality is good. Is it 3 of these I need?
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-07-01-14-36-57-1.png
Screenshot_2017-07-01-14-36-57-1.png (228.68 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

I would be inclined to change the detent springs at the end of the selector rods near the bellhousing before taking the whole box apart to fit new 1st gear synchro hub springs - they are changeable without having to remove the box, just a couple of retaining bolts to undo from underneath.

Ensure you have the box in neutral prior to undoing them.

This is a very comprehensive guide (see pages 26-31):

http://www.dorsetmmoc.co.uk/wordpress/t ... ebuild.pdf
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
greendefender123
Minor Addict

An excellent guide thanks. Il have a go at changing those ones. My box almost dosent have a problem so hopefully those springs will be enough.

Cheers Steve