Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
oliverlane89
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

VIDEO: Head gasket, water pump replacement

Post by oliverlane89 »

Hallo everyone

First of all, thanks for your help and advice over the past few days. Sadly the chorus of voices telling me to not change my head gasket because it probably didn't need it wasn't heeded in time so in addition to changing the water pump, we ended up stripping the head off as well.
DSC_1135 (1280x857).jpg
DSC_1135 (1280x857).jpg (673.41 KiB) Viewed 890 times
DSC_1130 (1280x857).jpg
DSC_1130 (1280x857).jpg (549.24 KiB) Viewed 890 times
DSC_1129 (1280x857).jpg
DSC_1129 (1280x857).jpg (600.36 KiB) Viewed 890 times
Glad to say everything is topped off, tightened up, and working. Ethel rolled off the ramps under her own power last night and I was able to clear away the pop-up workshop that formed on the drive last night prior to the 7am delivery of a kit-form greenhouse on the back of a lorry for the wife this morning!

I've put together this little video, I hope it is of some amusement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdHG0u7RIdw

As we're here, the only thing that's got me a little confused is since putting it back together the throttle pedal isn't returning properly, leaving the engine racing somewhat after easing the foot back. You can tell in the video somewhat. I'm going to have a prod around after work tonight but any advice of things to look for appreciated. I also have to sort out the exhaust which is clearly not at all properly mated with the manifold outlet, leaving a lot of gas spurting out into the engine bay...!

Regards

Oliver
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: VIDEO: Head gasket, water pump replacement

Post by firedrake1942 »

Sometimes the throttle cable wire it attaches to the bottom of the carb comes out of its guide, sitting on the lip of the guide and won't return, Worth looking there simply push back in and should solve issue.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

Or it may be that the bracket which the throttle return spring is not fixed so that the spring has enough tension to close the throttle off properly. I had this recently and found the nut holding this bracket to the manifold clamp had loosened, and the spring had pulled the bracket up so that the spring couldn't do its job properly. Very easy fix! 8)
Monty-4
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Monty-4 »

It can also be where the throttle cable attaches to the pedal inside the car - the little nub (no idea what it'd be called) can fall out of its recess when the tension is released.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.