Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Gubben
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Serie MM spin off oil filter

Post by Gubben »

Does anyone know if there is an spin off oil filter adapter (for the MM side valve) on the market?
Regards
Thomas
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Serie MM spin off oil filter

Post by mike.perry »

No. The oil filters are supplied by two companies, Purolator and AC which take the standard M1000 filter element. They are an improvement on the M1000 filter in that the spring and washer plate are retained by a circlip and do not get lost. The oil filter is perfectly easy to remove by undoing the two bolts holding the unit to the block (5/16W) and then unscrewing the bottom bolt (plug spanner) over an oil drain tray. If you are careful you can remove the unit witout damaging the gasket and unless the rubber O ring is leaking do not bother changing it. Clean and fit new element and top up bowl with fresh oil. Keep topping up until the bowl is nearly full then refit top of filter unit and bolt on to block. Turn the engine over on the starter until the oil pressure gauge lifts off zero before turning on the ignition.
[sig]3580[/sig]
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Thats a new one to me, anyone willing to try it out?
[sig]3580[/sig]
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Comparison of the gaskets between block and filter housing will confirm either way but it looks to be very suitable.
The filter housing on the Massey Ferguson looks to be very similar to that fitted to the MM side valve engine.
The manufacture of an adapter plate if necessary should not prove to be insurmountable.
If someone can provide me with the appropriate gasket between block and oil filter head for the MM side valve engine and the original type part No: (not BMC) I am prepared to see what I can do.
This conversion (see link) is similar to the MOSS spin on filter conversion.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MASSEY-FERGUS ... xyfpJSXaXg
Phil