Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
youngb506
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Original krooklock?

Post by youngb506 »

Does anyone know if the original krooklock fits a Minor? I'd like a vintage steering lock but I've a vague recollection that the krooklock doesn't go round the pedals on the Minor. If not is there another period alternative?
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Original krooklock?

Post by SteveClem »

In 1974 I used chain and a padlock to secure my Mini. Wrapped around the steering wheel and pedals! Never got pinched and completely authentic for the period. Also cheap.
Jaywhy
Minor Friendly

Post by Jaywhy »

I use an original pedal type krooklock all the time, it hooks around the clutch pedal and the steering wheel.
BAS587
Minor Friendly

Post by BAS587 »

I also use an original krooklok, it just take a bit of jiggling to make it hook under pedals
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

Danger with a krooklock is that a thief can use a bolt cutter to cut through the steering wheel. He removes the krooklock and the car is still drivable...

Bertie.
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

John Naylor wrote:Danger with a krooklock is that a thief can use a bolt cutter to cut through the steering wheel. He removes the krooklock and the car is still drivable...
better than doing nothing to protect your car though!
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

The krooklock was rapidly discredited years ago. Thieves needed only to lean hard on the steering wheel rim and it could be unhooked from the pedal, no need for tools. Stolen cars were sometimes found with the lock intact and thrown in the back.

Anything is better than nothing, but almost any device is better than a krooklock.
viewsonic1
Minor Fan

Post by viewsonic1 »

I use a device called an "Autolok" It slides over the handbrake and clamps onto the gear lever, hopefully rendering the car un-driveable. Not bad for £3.50 from a charity shop, and it has a period look.