"Hotter" thermostat

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
olonas

"Hotter" thermostat

Post by olonas »

Has anyone experienced adverse effects of fitting an 88 degC thermostat in a 1098cc engine? I'm considering fitting, in place of existing 82 deg (I think) to boost heater output temperature a bit. Has anyone fitted an 88 deg stat. and left insitu year round?
Daddsie
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Daddsie »

A little very cheap mod that I do come winter time, is to move the fresh air intake tube from the front grill and drape it over the rocker cover and locate it behind the carb near the exhaust manifold.
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re-routing the air intake?

Post by Gareth »

Hello there!

Just a thought - if you do that, make sure that the manifold gasket isn't leaking! Otherwise you could find yourself feeling rather sleepy to say the least!

Aside from that, I'd be a bit worried about the proximity of the exhaust and the oil breather pipe... However, if it works and it's cheap, then it must be a good mod.
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
tuning72
Minor Friendly

Heater Intake

Post by tuning72 »

Hi
I think any alteration to Heater intake other than "Fresh Air" could be extremely dangerous. An engine gives off many fumes that are TOXIC.
Please keep it in a Fresh air situation.
.......Ivor.....
Daddsie
Minor Friendly

Post by Daddsie »

Well I've survived thus far, but I do drive a van so there is PLENTY of fresh wafting about anyway :lol: