Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rhysevans
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Fitting a temperature gauge

Post by rhysevans »

I was hoping to fit a temperature gauge to my Morris to make life easier so she doesn't get to hot but I'm not sure where to start or if it's a job a really,really novice mechanic can do. Any help would be great and what parts I need and where to get them would be even better.
many thanks rhys

darren1camper
Minor Friendly

Re: Fitting a temperature gauge

Post by darren1camper »

If you look under the section techinical there is full instructions.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Don't bother......
ImageImage
customjob
Minor Fan

Post by customjob »

Go on fit one, think of the sense of achievement you'll get when you've done it.

charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

i have used tim gauges in the past and have been very happy with the price \ reliability however the temperature sender has needed a spacer, which i made up as one was not supplied, so perhaps not the best one to fit as a novice.

if you are looking at a mounting panel as well I can recommend this guy's panels in terms of quality he is happy to make it with as many holes as you want..
http://morrisminorowners.co.uk/viewtopi ... =46&t=8566
neilmorey
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by neilmorey »

I have one of the panels noted above fitted with oil pressure, temperature and volt gauges.
The temperature gauge was already on the car but I swapped it over to the new panel which simply involved unscrewing the temp sender from the head, for illumination tap into the instrument lighting circuit and find a suitable earth e.g screw attached to the metal body. It is a nice easy job and good starting point to build up your confidence. I would suggest a capillary rather than electric gauge which is more expensive but simpler, has less to go wrong and is considered to be more accurate.

Advice for fitting an electric gsuge is on the forum here.http://www.mmoc.org.uk/index.php?page=335

If you want to go further then a voltmeter is easy if not terribly useful. The Oil pressure gauge is most beneficial but was a pain to fit involving removing the distributor in order to have enough space to fit a T-piece. I used braided hose rather than the cheaper plastic hose supplied with some kits that may melt.

Boost can be gauged by how much remains unwrapped![frame]Image[/frame]
rhysevans
Minor Friendly

Post by rhysevans »

Cheers for all the info much appreciated. I had looked at those panels for the gauges but as I'm planning on fitting a radio in the glove box (less obvious to tea leaves) I didn't really want to loose more space. I have found on ESM the mechanical gauge £65 and the bracket is pence. Is the mechanical gauge just a case of mounting the gauge and fitting the sensor in the head??

neilmorey
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by neilmorey »

Yes it is that simple, you'll need to route the hose from sender to gauge through the bulkhead, should be space next to the fresh air supply (elephant's trunk).

Just one thing, do not attempt to unscrew the hose from the gauge or it will never work as their is liquid sealed in it which expands to move the needle.