Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pertwoodpie
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Coils

Post by pertwoodpie »

We have a 1098 traveller with alternator conversion and Acuspark electronic ignition.
The coil is mounted horizontally on a bracket made for Dorset MMOC on top of the alternator.
Recently I had coil failure measured the ohm and less than 1 this is no good for electronic ignition. so fitted a one from a box of stuff given thought it was new worked for a month and then bingo another relay trip home but the muppet who rescued me damaged the distributor by reversing polarity on it I asked him not too (now pursing this with Footman James).
spoke to Acuspark and they fixed it for a small fee and told me there is no way that coil can be damaged by the dizzy. so duly purchased a DLB105 GENUINE LUCAS IGNITION COIL - GOLD SPORTS COIL 3 OHM. all worked brilliantly until last night came to a stand still did all the usual checks only to find the coil has failed, after two months use.
So does anyone have any ideas as to why this keeps happening?
Is it a case of oh they don't make things like they used too?
thanks
Marcus and Charlotte
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Coils

Post by bmcecosse »

There's no such thing as 'genuine Lucas' these days. Made in far away places by people in sheds. The clue is in where you have the coil mounted! Use a good OLD coil - with 3/3.2 ohm impedance - and mount it VERTICALLY on the inner wing, terminals UP - away from the engine. It will last 'for ever'.
ImageImage
pertwoodpie
Minor Friendly

Post by pertwoodpie »

'The coil is mounted horizontally on a bracket made for Dorset MMOC on top of the alternator.'

oh dear these cost me quids and just put one on either my van or another Traveller, (can't recall which as van in paint shop) interestingly we had no problems with it when it was mounted on the inner wing below the air hose....better put it back there.

And yes like all things dotdot China!
Thanks
Marcus and charlotte
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You already knew the answer - 'no problem ...inner wing'.... :roll: :D
ImageImage
pertwoodpie
Minor Friendly

Post by pertwoodpie »

Doh! :( :-?
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

just go back to bog standard coil the lucas sport ones are made in china
[sig]5641[/sig]
pertwoodpie
Minor Friendly

Post by pertwoodpie »

Thanks
but need a good 3 ohms and most of them are made in China! you don't happen to know which ones aren't!
now that's a tall order :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You need to find a good OLD coil.
ImageImage
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

get a standard coil from bull motiff or accuspark , or distributer doctor
[sig]5641[/sig]
pertwoodpie
Minor Friendly

Post by pertwoodpie »

Accuspark made in china
Who knows where Bullmotiff but likely china
as for Distributor Dr don't do them and a lot of there stuff is Accuspark anyway and yes that's china!

Thanks any way
Marcus
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Go to GSF car parts and get a Bosch 'blue' 12v coil which they have listed for type 1 and 2 volkswagens. These are still good quality and I've currently got 3 in service (on my VW camper, my landcrab and one of the Minors) after having a spate of cool failures. The oldest one is 10 years old and fine
mobylette
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by mobylette »

For info, these are made in Brazil, from Simonbbc.com:

Bosch Ignition Coil is a super high quality coil that is ideal for all VW with points or Powerspark ignition unit this Coil is made in Brazil

Allows for vertical and upside mounting due to the coil being pressure filled with oil so there is no air inside
As a direct replacement for the Bosch blue coil, It's no longer painted blue. It just has a blue label. However, Bosch has assured us that "none of the quality or performance specifications have changed"

Markings on label are "High Energy Coil"
0 221 119 027
K 12V
Made in Brazil
Rated @ 3.2 Ohms Primary Winding Resistance
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Indeed, and I can vouch for the fact that they are indeed totally filled with oil, as there's no 'sloshing' when you shake them unlike with many of the other new ones (which mostly fail in double-quick time). Thy work fine mounted horizontally too, in the standard Minor 1000 location
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I saw them on ebay earlier - hopefully Brasil has better quality control than China... I would still mount it vertically on the inner wing!!
ImageImage
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Here is a selection of Bosch coils.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... ondition=3
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
moggalot
Minor Friendly

Post by moggalot »

Nothing wrong with our Dorset coil brackets which, after all they just replicate the original position when you fit an alternator. We have supplied many Beru blue coils from Simon.bbc which are decent quality and will be fine in any orientation. I still maintain, however that cooling is better when mounted behind the fan rather than on the inner wing. As has already been said, either use a good 'old' unit or a good quality German one (or Brazilian!)

whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

How does one test a coil outside of a car to see if it is failed or otherwise, I have a collection of coils 40odd years old at the back of the garages that I was always intending to get about seeing if ok (along with 5 on the present fleet of non-runners)
moggalot
Minor Friendly

Post by moggalot »

Use a multi meter set to resistance (low range) should not be less than about 2 or 3 ohms. Or try it on a car!

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

3 to 3.2 ohms. A 2 ohm coil will be for ballast ignition and while it may give great sparks for a while - it will burn the points, and overheat badly first time the car is taken on a longish run. Sell them to Mini owners with ballast ignition. Keep the coil away from the vibration and heat of the engine - and who knows - maybe there are magnetic fields from the alternating current 'alternator' affecting the coil if closely mounted - perhaps causing it to heat even more, or perhaps 'vibrate' internally. Nice and cool on the inner wing - mine has been there ever since I got the car - 15 years or so now.. Don't throw away ANY of these old coils - they are worth their weight in Gold...
ImageImage