Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lencot76
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

DOORS

Post by lencot76 »

Hello I have just started to remove the doors,to repair them.I have removed the 8 bolts in the hinges,but the door hinge seems to be sticking in the door jam.Does the door have to be removed while leaving the hinges on the pillar,should
lencot76
Minor Fan

Re: DOORS

Post by lencot76 »

Sorry the page suddenly dissapeared while I was typing.Should the door be removed,by unscrewing the philips head screws,rather then the 8 bolts .
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Either will work: remove the bolts from the pillar side, or the screws from the door side. In both cases, the bolt/screw threads into a plate; and the usual problems are (a) unable to undo due to rust, or (b) the supposedly captive plate in the pillar drops down as its support bracket has rusted away.

If you have removed all the bolts, then it is probably just paint holding the hinge in place (unless somebody previously welded a repair panel to the hinge) so try scoring around the hinge, a little heat, and a mallet. or hammer with suitable drift - support the door whilst working.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

But be aware the plates in behind WILL drop out of reach.... Best to remove one screw - and fit a stud in it's place, to hold the plate.
ImageImage
lencot76
Minor Fan

Post by lencot76 »

Thanks ,I thought the doors would be easier than they were ,due to the weight.I removed the bolts anf the hinges were loose ,but they wouldn`t come out of the holes.Finally they they came out but an equally awkward job to refit it
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

When refitting, a piece of stud (or bolt with the head cut off) screwed in will allow you to hang the hinge on that whilst you get the other bolts in. As suggested above, this trick can also be used to stop the plate dropping, but as you had already removed all eight bolts. I didn't bother to mention it - the plate would have already dropped. Hopefully yours stayed in place.
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

lencot76 wrote:Thanks ,I thought the doors would be easier than they were ,due to the weight.I removed the bolts anf the hinges were loose ,but they wouldn`t come out of the holes.Finally they they came out but an equally awkward job to refit it
Are your hinges fitted in a slot? That dosent sound right, maybe the hinge pillars have been plated over to strengthen?

T
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

It sounds to me as if it is the rear doors on a 4 door that are being removed as the front doors only have 7 bolts to the body and the rears have 8 and do slot into the pillar and can be a swine to get in and out!! :lol:

kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

yes indeed the rears are a pig to get in and out,without damaging the paint.You need to just open the door slightly and pull it backwards,same to get it in, better with two people.