Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
boydogs
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

radio/cd player

Post by boydogs »

I have just fitted a sony radio/cd to the Morris. I have changed to neg/earth. The radio and cd work ok. but only when ignition is switched on, I would like to alter wiring so i can listen to radio with ignition off. It has 8 wires to 4 speakers, 1 black to earth, 1 blue which i didn`t use, Then 1 yellow to ignition switch and 1 red to perminent live which i took straight to the battery with an inline fuse fitted. What have i done wrong or any ideas please.
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Re: radio/cd player

Post by chesney »

Modern cars (and their stereos) generally have an 'accessory' setting to the switch, ie first turn of ignition switch, which allows you to listen to the radio without running the engine. This is what your yellow wire is for.
So your choice is to either run the radio through a master switch (effectively acting as an accessory switch) or add the yellow wire to the permanent live you've made, and ensure the stereo is switched off when not in use.
boydogs
Minor Friendly

Post by boydogs »

Chesney,Thankyou for your reply i will try the way you stated.
andy.pointeer
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by andy.pointeer »

Be aware that as the red wire is connected to live all the time, this is to keep setting in the memory of radio, this will drain the battery. so if you are putting car away for winter I would advise you disconnect the battery or put battery on trickle charge.
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

1966 Smoke Grey Traveller
boydogs
Minor Friendly

Post by boydogs »

andy, thankyou.