Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MyLulu
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Starting (or lack of)

Post by MyLulu »

:roll:
Haven't turned her over for about 18 months :oops: , and despite new battery, now refuses to start. Will refresh petrol and put a little bit in through distributor, but any other hints would be gratefully received. At the moment, I've no other way of starting her. (and battery bar doesn't want to go back on either, I think she's sulking).
"What's this, and where does it go?"
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Starting (or lack of)

Post by mike.perry »

Work through in a logical sequence
First - Silly mistakes - Are all the wires connected? Are the HT leads connected in the correct order? Is the rotor arm still sitting on the battery? I do not think that you ought to put petrol near the distributor. Have you checked the points gap? Have you turned it over on the handle?
Ignition on - does the fuel pump tick? Ignition off, is the float chamber full? Does the carb piston lift and drop smoothly?
Ignition on Check for spark at plugs, if no spark check for spark at points the coil.
Provided that the engine is getting fuel and a spark and you have not moved the distributor or the carb or an other silly mistakes that I have not thought of then it should start
[sig]3580[/sig]
blues2rock
Minor Friendly

Post by blues2rock »

As above but I think putting petrol in the distributor might just be a little unwise!!!
Mr Angry from Maldon
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

After 18 months the chances are the petrol isn't at its best. If there isn't much left in the tank then you might be better off draining it completely to get rid of any dirt/condensation that might be in there too - either use the drain plug in the tank or the fuel pump to pump it through. If I leave my strimmer for 6 months then it doesn't like to start on old fuel...

If nothing has changed since the last time you ran it then it shouldn't be anything too serious. Either way it's still worth giving the plugs a clean and checking for sparks too.

Alex
Glad to be back!
MyLulu
Minor Friendly

Post by MyLulu »

blues2rock wrote:As above but I think putting petrol in the distributor might just be a little unwise!!!
probably :oops: :oops: I don't know what it's called, and it's the first word that came to mind,

it's a little thing on the right hand side as you look at the engine, has a tiny little black cover on it. an "old boy" said to put a little bit of fuel in through there.
MyLulu
Minor Friendly

Post by MyLulu »

have also tried to swing the handle on it, no go, and push the bottom of the solunoid (sp?), nothing.
MyLulu
Minor Friendly

Post by MyLulu »

mike.perry wrote:Work through in a logical sequence
First - Silly mistakes - Are all the wires connected? Are the HT leads connected in the correct order? Is the rotor arm still sitting on the battery? I do not think that you ought to put petrol near the distributor. Have you checked the points gap? Have you turned it over on the handle?
Ignition on - does the fuel pump tick? Ignition off, is the float chamber full? Does the carb piston lift and drop smoothly?
Ignition on Check for spark at plugs, if no spark check for spark at points the coil.
Provided that the engine is getting fuel and a spark and you have not moved the distributor or the carb or an other silly mistakes that I have not thought of then it should start
doesn't tick at all (think rotor arm still there), nothing moves anywhere. sorry, not mechanically "gifted". kind regards, Clueless of Gloucestershire. (embarrassed)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Tip some fuel down the CARB throat....it should run for a few seconds. But the fuel pump will probably not be working now, and the Ignition points may be 'furred up'. Would be best if someone local could drop in and give you some help! Perhaps a slightly more specific location would help...?
ImageImage
MyLulu
Minor Friendly

Post by MyLulu »

PM sent, thanks.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Battery charged and petrol trick tried??
ImageImage