Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bassman1
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Would an 8 leaf pick up/van spring fit a traveller

Post by bassman1 »

as a follow on from my last post ,and with the blossoming opinion on our messageboards and within spring suppliers opinions ( i have been told today by several spring manufacturers that they are a waste of money )that all of the springs supplied by online morris parts suppliers are sourced from the indian subcontinent and are therefore a bag of dog poo and will most likely de temper within 3-6 months, would an 8 leaf rear spring for a pick up or van be a safer bet , the fact that it is made to carry higher payloads mean that less heavy stress levels in the traveller mean a longer life , therefore making them a worthy proposition in the budget end of the rear spring market .
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Would an 8 leaf pick up/van spring fit a traveller

Post by bmcecosse »

Different eye arrangement - probably not impossible to use them - but not a direct swap. They may be right about the spring supplies........... :roll: You've been advised already to look for a secondhand spring! A saloon spring will be fine - just fit the main leaf to your bundle........
ImageImage
bassman1
Minor Friendly

Post by bassman1 »

i have a couple in my evilbay watching but they're not up for a week , there is a pair of traveller springs but one looks o.k with a nice tight curve and tightly compressed leaves and on the other the leaves are apart which probably means its gone soft ,as i said in one of my other meanderings , with the amount of time it takes to fit springs and all of the new bushes to find a few weeks down the line i have a similar problem is going to be a severe pain in the ass,my bundle are not great the are quite rusty i haven't got to the point of removing them but the edges are very deeply pitted , i dont see the harm in doing a bit of research in the meantime ,and its not unreasonable to consider the van springs if they can be fitted if they are the same width it might just be a case of using the pick up spring rubbers , in the pics on the suppliers website they look identical just one more leaf , i have had a few interesting chats today with spring suppliers and found a couple of decent sounding suppliers .

the spring pics
lowride stepside
Minor Fan

Post by lowride stepside »

when I bought my truck it had a car spring fitted on one side .then I sourced on odd 8 leaf ,but Ive just fitted a new pair , didn't take much more than an hour , but it did jack it up some ,so I had to block it down , I've filled it up with rubble A few times and it seems fine
speed not tweed
bassman1
Minor Friendly

Post by bassman1 »

thanks for that answer lowride , that gives me a lot more options .
bassman1
Minor Friendly

Post by bassman1 »

after many questions and more research than i really have time for , yes a van spring can be fitted with modified bushes , but the ride is unrelentingly hard , some question as to whether it would nullify your insurance by fitting a part that wasn't designed to be fitted , so thats that little idea firmly put to bed
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just remove leaves until the ride is acceptable......
ImageImage
bassman1
Minor Friendly

Post by bassman1 »

or plaster a load of grease between the leaves , the old rover used to have greased springs with leather gaiters , you dont see em much most rot away by the time you have 7 owners on the log book !