Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ribs
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Hello - and demisting in early minor.

Post by ribs »

Hello everyone. Although I have done a couple of posts, we have just returned to the fold, bought a Minor and joined the local branch, so I thought that a formal hello was appropriate. When I say returned to the fold what I mean is that I had Minors (Traveller, Van and Pick-up) in the past. However, they weren't classics then - just everyday vehicles and really, that's where we are back to.

We recently changed our tiny Romahome campervan for a Hymer motorhome and needed a runabout vehicle that was economical to run. I don't need to state here that when you have had Moggies, there is always a fondness. A neighbour bought one a year or so ago - and that got me thinking. I joined this forum and started doing a bit of research - When I think of what let my previous vehicles go for.....

The result is a 1957 4 door saloon that is fairly original and unmolested, with a fine patina of age - OK, it's tatty. Actually, it is much better underneath than it is on top and I drove it the 160 miles home (my son was following in the Hymer with tow chain at the ready) with no problems. Front and rear screen rubbers, door/window seals, a front grill panel and the ropey tickover seem to be the items in need of immediate attention. A respray was my first thought on seeing the car - it had stood for 7 years before the man I bought it from rescued it - but now I'm not so sure. It's 57 years old and looks it - but then, maybe it should - I'm getting to quite like it as it is. We shall see.

Demisting, I did mention demisting. She Who Must Be Obeyed, is a nurse and has to leave for work at silly times of day. Normally she uses a motorbike, but come the icy days of midwinter, she chooses not to ( she works in A&E and sees the effects of ice and bikes) and I have to take her. The Morris was bought mainly with this in mind and trying to foresee future problems, the question of demisting rears it's ugly head. Heating is not the issue - I ride motorbikes too - but being able to see can be quite a problem. In the past, even in (relatively,) modern vehicles it can take quite a while to de ice/demist.
Doris (the Morris) - as named apparently, by previous owners - has her original round heater with working fan control, but no trunking for demisting and I fear that the old girl will struggle to clear the screen. What are my options? Any advice or suggestions would be gratefully received.
Best wishes to all, Brian.
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Re: Hello - and demisting in early minor.

Post by lambrettalad »

I find the rear screen is so hard to clear ,i fitted a heated rear screen and despite our better than average summer,I've used it twice and it's GREAT :D ,Good luck with your motor
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

I have seen mini heater blowers on Ebay clears the screen easily
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Hi and welcome. You can get heated front screens as well. So if you are considering fitting new rubbers it may be worth considering doing both. :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

I have heated front and rear screens in my Traveller and they are brilliant! :D
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Get a demister pad, the front screen isn't expansive or hard to reach. For the rear you can buy either a full screen with built-in element as suggested or pick up one of those old-school stick on elements, if you can find one.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If you go the heated screens route, you will NEED to fit an alternator.......Even then - I suggest it would be wise to use them alternately - ie not both on together...since you are likely also to have the headlights/wipers/heater running. A Mini heater is a HUGE improvement (along with 88 degree thermostat and blanked off bypass hose..) but if you can find a heater from an Austin (or Morris) 1100/1300 they are fantastic! Good luck with the winter motoring - better make sure the underside is WELL protected...
ImageImage
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I think using our old cars in winter is fine as long as the body is well-prepped and any rust/chips/nicks etc are sorted. I wash the salt off mine regularly but it seems they rust from the inside out.

If the car is a minter, however, I'd be inclined to store it.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

There should be a Y duct in the top of the fug stirrer heater with ducting to the demister vents on the windscreen. Provided that only the driver breathes then the windscreen will just about clear but for improved clearance the passengers should be armed with a yellow duster and instructed to keep wiping.
An alternative solution is to open the quarterlights but this can result in severe frost bite.
Now where is the switch for the heated seats?
[sig]3580[/sig]
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

The people that do Rainex also make an anti misting product, anyone tried it?

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

I should have said - I have used a two way switch so I can only use either the front or rear and not both at the same time :D oh, and I have an alternator as well
ribs
Minor Friendly

Post by ribs »

Plenty of food for thought. The heated screens route does seem very tempting - cost apart. It would have the least effect, in terms of keeping the car as original as possible. Point taken about using one at a time. Doris does have an alternator fitted - albeit in a very Heath Robinson manner, in terms of the mountings which do need sorting. I'm trying to keep the work on the Morris to a minimum - until next year when hopefully, I should have more time.

Before the winter sets in though, I will attempt to protect the underside as advised. As I said earlier the car is pretty good underneath and has been undersealed with the usual black stuff. I was going to go over this brushing on Waxoyl (I don't have access to spraying equipment) and spraying ACF50 from an aerosol into any crevices. On top, it will be a case of oily rag and aerosol treatment until I can find the time to treat it properly. Does this sound ok? Once again, I would be grateful for any advice/suggestions. Thanks to all for your input so far - keep it coming. Great forum, friendly and very useful and helpful.
Regards, Brian.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Thin the waxoyl 50/50 with white spirit, put it in an empty domestic cleaner spray bottle, and heat it up in a bucket of hot water - now you DO have access to spray equipment..... :)
ImageImage
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Rainex is good but dont put it on the inside of the windscreen, all the other inside screens are fine but I found it made the windscreen a bit blurry on the inside, super job outside after 50mph you hardly need the wipers on!

I have a couple of cars with the early round heater and one is great and the other is very poor at demisting. The better one is on a car that has the cardboard ducting fitted round the heater which I insulated with some foam to try and direct the heat up or down and not just into the parcel shelf. Heres a link to ESM with the part incase your not fimilar with it.

http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... 3594f832b1

Too many Minors so little time.....
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I wasn't suggesting Rainex on the inside, it's a different product by the same company.

http://www.rainx.com/product/glass-and- ... jVlJH9-pIU

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Jefftav
Minor Addict

Post by Jefftav »

Rainex do a potion that supposedly stops misting up on the inside but I never found it to be very good. The Rainex for keeping the exterior of windscreens clear is very good.

I tend to drive with the 1/4light windows open as the airlflow helps to clear the screen & I keep a demister pad handy. I also have a mini heater and front and rear heated screens as I too have early morning winter starts. All combined I never have too many problems once my Morris is warmed up.

You can also fit pumps that heat & circulate water in the cars cooling system. I forget the manufacturers name but they plug into mains power and the car heater is warm before you start. Ok when at home and a bit of work to instal?
margriff
Minor Fan

Post by margriff »

On this subject of heating and de-misting the car... does anyone know if you can buy a heater that plugs into cig lighter/power socket, to boost the heat in the car first thing in the morning too clear the glass, so I can see through the windscreen.
Also thinking of getting front and back heated windows too :wink:
Sir Hugo Reginald Von Bartesby - "Burble and Squeak"
margriff
Minor Fan

Post by margriff »

Found one on fleabay for £9...12v heater and a fan for the summer.
Sir Hugo Reginald Von Bartesby - "Burble and Squeak"
Blades
Minor Fan

Post by Blades »

In my thirteen year old modern car I used to get condensation on the windows

I bought a small droplet moisture magnet from Lakeland that you just put in the car, once the granules have changed colour you put it in the microwave for a few minutes and use again

It works a treat and demisting/ condensation are no longer a problem

Nick
[sig]9332[/sig]
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

just open the quater lights
[sig]5641[/sig]