Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
goldfish
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Trafficator light bulb not working.

Post by goldfish »

Hi All,

I've noticed today that my trafficator on the drivers side opperates but does not light up. I have changed the bulb but still no luck. There is power making the stork rise so I'm assuming that for some reason the bulb is not earthing. Has anyone else come across this problem and is there an easy fix ?
Thanks
Neil.

lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Re: Trafficator light bulb not working.

Post by lambrettalad »

is the bulb getting power ? if so it's the earth, trace and find ,do you have a muti-meter or a test lamp ?
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

There is a sprung coil of wire inside the trafficator lens which sits in the bottom of the triangular section of the lens. The festoon bulb sits on the coil and when the metal top of the arm is fitted and screwed to the plastic section the top of the bulb contacts the metal section and completes the circuit, lighting the bulb when the trafficator is operated.
Check that the brass caps on the bulb are clean.
Check that the wire and spring section are correctly located and the spring compresses when the bulb is fitted, if necessary stretch the spring.
Check that the insulating sheath is in position where the wire comes out of the indicator hinge.
Check that the metal top of the arm is correctly located at both ends and screwed to the lens at the outer end.
Check that the securing set screws above annd below the trafficator are tight and allowance is made for wind resistance at speed, the arm will be pushed back against the edge of the slot
It is common for the bulbs to be tempermental when signalling at speed, ie on the motorway.
Last edited by mike.perry on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
goldfish
Minor Friendly

Post by goldfish »

Thanks Mike and Alex, I'll try your suggestions and report back here.
Neil

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

+1 for Mike's suggestions, it's often the internal sprung wire to arm connections which are at fault. Try removing the top metal strengthener and scrape it back to shiny metal.