Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
David W.
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Trafficator with modern flashers`

Post by David W. »

I'd like to give credit where due, but I don't remember where I found the trafficator wiring diagram, or who directed me to it.
My "new" traveller had trafficators but no flashers. The previous owner told me that the trafficators kept blowing fuses. I found that it had the "newer" turn signal switch with the cancelling mechanism, and the indicator bulb on the end of the stalk.
I solved his shorting problem by finding a lead that was earthed directly.
OK, trafficators work. Now I want flashing indicators fore and aft. Up front, it was easy to replace the sidelight assembly with another one for the two filament bulbs. In the rear, I installed an off the shelf light above the running/brake lights.
I put dual flasher units in each line (left and right) as is shown in the diagram below. Now I have trafficators and flashers. How do I make the little light at the end of the stalk flash when the indicators are flashing?????
I put two diodes in the circuit. They tap in down stream of each flasher. The other ends of each diode are joined to a lead going to the light on the end of the stalk. The orientation of the diodes depends on positive or negative earth.
Now I have trafficators, flashing lights fore and aft, and a flashing indicator on my stalk.
I'm happy.
Below is the diagram I found somewhere (thank you, whoever.) and my amendment on the right side showing where to put the diodes.
David[frame]Image[/frame]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Trafficator with modern flashers`

Post by mike.perry »

The wiring diagram is on the Series MM website, http://seriesmm.mmoc.org.uk. Tech info. Trafficator and Indicators Wiring Diagram.
The diagram was originally for adding indicators to a Series MM/II using the original switch with central non flashing warning light.
Does your method have a flashing indicator warning light?
[sig]3580[/sig]
David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

Yes. I ran the wire from the diodes to the light on the end of the stalk. It could be used to light anything that you want to flash when either signal is flashing.
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

"Now I have trafficators, flashing lights fore and aft, and a flashing indicator on my stalk.
I'm happy. "
Great result
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
wickermonkey
Minor Friendly

Post by wickermonkey »

thanks for posting this, this was going to be my next rpoject. I already have the flashing front and rears but the traficators are not wired up
David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

If you have the relay box up in the engine compartment, you'll have to study the wiring diagram. You'll have to tap the trafficators to a steady (not flashing) voltage between the switch and the relay box.
The relay box makes it a bit more complicated to get the light at the end of the stalk to flash than the above diagram, but it can be done.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

If you have the DB10 interrupter relay unit, the feeds to the semaphores can be taken directly from it. Use terminal 4 for the LH semaphore and terminal 8 for the RH. The feed from the indicator switch goes directly to these two terminals, before going through the relay unit to the front flashers and rear brake/flashers.

The DB10 circuit diagram is shown below:
[frame]Image[/frame]
Richard

GABRIEAL GRUB
Minor Friendly

Post by GABRIEAL GRUB »

Hi Guys, would this work if I didn't want it on a stalk..... and wanted to wire direct to the central trafficator switch?

Regards Gab
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Just use the original diagram without the pencilled in additions
[sig]3580[/sig]