Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
territheresa8888
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Windscreen washer switch

Post by territheresa8888 »

Hi, I'm new to this site, also after many years of waiting, I'm now the proud owner of a beautiful little 1960 Moggy called Betty.
The seller was a little unhelpful, I have no literature but am by no means thick, however, as much as I search, I cannot find the switch for the windscreen washer jets???

I understand no two morgues are the same and after 52 years of being on this planet there is a very good chance that the switches have been moved or removed at some time in the past by over enthusiastic restorers

Hope somebody can help, just incase it's hidden away as standard.
Thanks
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Windscreen washer switch

Post by bmcecosse »

Wecome to the forum! Not heard these cars described as 'morgues' before....!! Certainly early ones are deadly slow..... There is no 'switch' for the washers on a standard car - there should be a longish push button on the left of the ignition key switch - you press it to pump the fluid! Of course over the years - it may have been 'uprated' :roll: to an electric pump - look under the bonnet.
ImageImage
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Welcome to the messageboard :D
bmcecosse wrote: there should be a longish push button on the left of the ignition key switch - you press it to pump the fluid!
This type of switch was used on later Minors, from Oct '64 onwards. On a 1960 Minor windscreen washers were available as an optional extra. Assuming that you have washer jets fitted, try looking for a pull/push switch under the dashboard on the drivers side. Failing that, you could try tracing the plastic pipe that runs from the washer bottle through to the bulkhead to get an idea of where the switch might be located.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
territheresa8888
Minor Friendly

Hi, thanks and sorry, predictive typing, and should've said moggy lol
On my way out to hunt the switch down now.
Thanks for your help
Terri
territheresa8888
Minor Friendly

Found it, traced the wire back, thank you for your help
moggiethouable
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by moggiethouable »

LouiseM wrote:Welcome to the messageboard :D
bmcecosse wrote: there should be a longish push button on the left of the ignition key switch - you press it to pump the fluid!
This type of switch was used on later Minors, from Oct '64 onwards. On a 1960 Minor windscreen washers were available as an optional extra. Assuming that you have washer jets fitted, try looking for a pull/push switch under the dashboard on the drivers side. Failing that, you could try tracing the plastic pipe that runs from the washer bottle through to the bulkhead to get an idea of where the switch might be located.
I wonder if it was still an optional extra as my 65 has the old push button/pump action type?
Where angels fear to tread
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That's the standard fitment!
ImageImage
Dominic
Minor Addict

Post by Dominic »

and you can't beat it! I removed a nasty "colostomy bag" thingy that had been installed on my Morris, and replaced with the proper type of manual action pump and bottle.
Owns: Skoda Citigo
1968 Morris Minor Convertible[sig]3739[/sig]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I moved the washer bottle up to the bulkhead to reduce the head of water to be pumped, fitted an electric washer alongside and replaced the wiper switch with a light switch which I wired the washer motor and wipers to. I fitted double washer jets on both sides and used the spare panel hole where the washer was located to fit the hazard light switch
[sig]3580[/sig]
darren1camper
Minor Friendly

Post by darren1camper »

How was it wired to the switch? I have just replaced single wiper switch with a light switch but can't get pump to work, I have wired positive side of pump to switch and earth from pump to switch but still nothing.
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Why on earth would you wire it like that??
ImageImage