Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TomLS
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

New engine :) - Which exhaust?!

Post by TomLS »

Hi all,

I have, this very evening, collected my Traveller's new engine to be.
It's a 1098 10CC block with +60thou regrind, and reground crank, with full harmonic balance, pocketed block, Cooper S 12G940 big-valve head, and an as yet unidentified Piper cam, believed to be 285 profile. (It revved cleanly to 7000rpm in his A35 :D )
All the work was done in 2000, with full receipts totaling over £800, and the engine has done a believed 3000 miles since then. From the fact that the bores are still machine-shop condition, I can well believe it!
It was quite a steal at £260 too!

The only shame is that the guy, who was clearing out his old garage (read hayshed with space for 5 cars and a big workshop, plus mesamine space!) in order to move house, clearly didn't know some of the gems he had. It transpired that he'd chucked (yes, as in sent to landfill) a pair of Wolseley 9" drums, and 2 3.9 Diffs just the week before!!! His exact words were "You could've just taken them, but they got chucked last week." GUTTED!

Any way - with the above setup, what type of LCB would people recommend? I've seen 'large' and 'small' bore LCB's for sale for minors, but there only seems to be about 1/8" difference between the two. Is this really going to make much difference? Or have I fallen in the annoying middle ground between the two? Before anyone suggests it, I can't really afford to buy both and test it. Certainly not this month any way!!! :o

Cheers,
Tom.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: New engine :) - Which exhaust?!

Post by bmcecosse »

I would fit the larger LCB and system - your engine has the potential for 80/85 maybe even 90 bhp . But I strongly suggest you severely limit excursions above 6000 rpm if you want it to last........ Which means of course that the 285 cam is not ideal - you would do better with a 276 - or even a 266. The 285 cam is a lovely cam, don't get me wrong - just not suitable for a 1098 engine with it's very long stroke and weak conrods. A 285 gives it's best power in the 5 - 8 k range, so limiting it to 6k in your engine means you lose power in the 3 - 6 k range - to gain power in a range where your engine is not safe to use.
ImageImage
TomLS
Minor Fan

Post by TomLS »

:o I was expecting, and to be quite honest, happy with the idea, of a power around the 70bhp mark, but I won't say no to more! Just means I will have to upgrade the 8" drums sooner than imagined...
I'm glad you said big-bore; they seem to be easier and cheaper to get hold of! I did think 285 sounded a little much. I'm not certain any way until I can pull off the front cover and have a look. The seller did say it was a very capable road car, which would also lead me to think a 285 was rather unlikely. 265 (or a Kent 266) is what I was planning for the 'standard' 1098 with a normal 12G940 head I was originally going to use, so maybe a 275 will go quite nicely.
Any way, I'll see whats in it over the next few days and make my decision from there.
As for the revs - I didn't intend to take it past 6000 any way, thats plenty for me!!

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You will need an HIF 44 on a good alloy manifold
ImageImage
TomLS
Minor Fan

Post by TomLS »

Hmm. I have a freshly rebuilt HS6 with an ally manifold - will that do the trick? At least to start with?

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Oh yes - HS6 = HIF 44 in flow terms. Just the HIF is better at handling surge. The carb would benefit of course from careful attention as described by Vizard.
ImageImage
TomLS
Minor Fan

Post by TomLS »

D'oh, I meant an HS4 (1.5"?)
But no matter. With a bit of rough porting, the ally manifold from the HS4 will fit one of the 4 spare HIF44 carbs I have from my V8 (just checked), I just need to use a left-hand-side one to get the linkage on the correct side. I'll plonk them all on the dining table tomorrow night and see if I can't make one good one out of 4 scrappers! :lol:

I'd better go and re-read my big yellow bible, I can't remember what he says about tweeking the carbs!

Cheers Roy.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

An HS4 will work - but will limit the power -maybe a good thing for a long life engine !
ImageImage
TomLS
Minor Fan

Post by TomLS »

Thats also good to know - but I like HIF44's and have a lot more experience of stripping them down!
Read the carb mods in Vizards book - seems to be quite worthwhile.
Any idea what needle I could use as a start point in an HIF44 with the above specced engine?

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Can only suggest the BDL as a starting point.
ImageImage