Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
granneb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

RH Glove box lid

Post by granneb »

Can anyone give me information regarding the sourcing of a lid for the RH glove box, similar to the LH glove box.

Thanks

Graham
whyperion
Minor Fan

Re: RH Glove box lid

Post by whyperion »

Picture of the n/s passenger one , and of the aperture of the drivers side and year of car are needed as the specifications changed during the course of build. A driver side glove box lid is normally a pain anyway ,about a third of all minors must have had the glove boxes taken out and guages /clocks fitted in place of.
granneb
Minor Friendly

Post by granneb »

The car is a 1968 Traveller, so a late pattern would be ideal
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I think that a 1968 car should have a frame rather than a lid, after about 20 years they got the message about how unusable the right hand glove box is with a lid on it.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
granneb
Minor Friendly

Post by granneb »

Many thanks for all the replies, but they are not answering my simple question, 'where can I source a lid for the RH glove box' I know what the factory fitted, I sit facing it every time I drive the car, but I require a lid :-?

They must, after all, be available as they should have been fitted to LH drive Travellers
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Well you've answered your own question - you'll need to source it from somewhere where they have LH drive Minors! :D Might be worth putting an ad in the 'wanted' forum here as quite a few members live abroad so someone might be able to help.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
granneb
Minor Friendly

Post by granneb »

LouiseM wrote:Well you've answered your own question - you'll need to source it from somewhere where they have LH drive Minors! :D Might be worth putting an ad in the 'wanted' forum here as quite a few members live abroad so someone might be able to help.
Oh I see, members who live in the US or Europe have Morris Minor suppliers there, a sort of continental ESM, didn't know that..........
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

People have spare parts lying around & Minors get scrapped the world over so someone might have what you're looking for - you wouldn't be able to buy a 'new' one, it would have to be secondhand. Also worth keeping an eye out on ebay.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Dave@FJ

Post by Dave@FJ »

This what you're looking for?

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1432338666
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

If my 1967 Minor is anything to go by, the open glovebox is original, not a lid.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
granneb
Minor Friendly

Post by granneb »

Dave@FJ wrote:This what you're looking for?

That's the sort of thing

MarkyB wrote:If my 1967 Minor is anything to go by, the open glovebox is original, not a lid.
I really do appreciate all the replies that I've recieved, but why am I constantly being told what's original and how my car should be, I've had it for 35 years, I know what is original, but I just want to cover a useless space with a door to match the other side
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Because when someone asks for something where there's been confusion in the past, we automatically revert to what was original -- it's only rational. You won't have any luck in the United States, at least not for the later doors -- Minors stopped being imported over here in 1961 or '62.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Have you tried Bryan Gosling of the minor club spares ????
Dave@FJ

Post by Dave@FJ »

granneb wrote:
Dave@FJ wrote:This what you're looking for?

That's the sort of thing

MarkyB wrote:If my 1967 Minor is anything to go by, the open glovebox is original, not a lid.
I really do appreciate all the replies that I've recieved, but why am I constantly being told what's original and how my car should be, I've had it for 35 years, I know what is original, but I just want to cover a useless space with a door to match the other side
Perhaps I should have added that this particular glove box lid is amongst my spares and i'd take a sensible offer for it :wink:
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Dave - the glovebox you're offering is for an earlier car. The car needing this is a later model ( '68) (domed glovebox covers not flat)

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Dave@FJ

Post by Dave@FJ »

ASL642 wrote:Dave - the glovebox you're offering is for an earlier car. The car needing this is a later model ( '68) (domed glovebox covers not flat)
Ah thanks Lou :)

Think I might actually have one of those as well in Trafalgar Blue....will have a look later
granneb
Minor Friendly

Post by granneb »

Thanks again guys for the replies

My other thought is to tack a piece of steel into the recess of the existing frame, but then of course I have the impossible task of fixing the top screw into position
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

reading what you have written you just want to cover the glove box hole and you will not be using it as a glove box any more...

two options spring to mind there is a guy that sells fibre glass glove box covers with 3 x 52 mm holes in it ready for some gauges.. I have held one and the glass fibre is nice and thick.

Of course as you say you could just fill in your current cover, if you then remove your glove box liner you can gain access to the top screw from under the dash board as there is a very hole under the dash board.
granneb
Minor Friendly

RH Glove box lid

Post by granneb »

charlie_morris_minor wrote:reading what you have written you just want to cover the glove box hole and you will not be using it as a glove box any more....
That's' right

charlie_morris_minor wrote:two options spring to mind there is a guy that sells fibre glass glove box covers with 3 x 52 mm holes in it ready for some gauges.. I have held one and the glass fibre is nice and thick.

Of course as you say you could just fill in your current cover, if you then remove your glove box liner you can gain access to the top screw from under the dash board as there is a very hole under the dash board.
I like the above, many thanks for that, gives me something to think about
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

The other option, of course, is to try our friends in the European clubs - Scandinavia (Nordisk), Frrance, Holland and Germany all have thriving clubs . I have seen several European Minors in their final face lifted guise which display the right hand side glove box lid. There was convertible on this years MOT in fact.

I have a friend who actually wants to do the opposite to you - i.e replace a RHD glove box lid with a LHD open fascia panel cos his wife is fed up having the lid crack her knees every time they go out in it! Like Series 2 chrome screen surrounds they will be a challenge to find but not an impossibility with a bit of sleuthing! Good luck - and if you find a LHD car with the lid, can you get the open fascia from the other side too? :D