pre 1960, MOT exempt cars

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
davidpidge
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

pre 1960, MOT exempt cars

Post by davidpidge »

Hi,
I'm sure there's already a thread on the subject but i'm just interested to know if a pre 1960 car needs to be MOT'd before the new rules come in in November or if it's just exempt from November regardless of its current status. Does that make sense? There doesnt seem to be much info on the subject which is weird considering its quite a big deal.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1956 Traveller - work in progress

C6Dave
Minor Fan

Re: pre 1960, MOT exempt cars

Post by C6Dave »

Well as the exemption is not due to start until November then it's safe to assume that if your car is due an MOT before that you need to get it done.

Unless of course you declare it SORN until after November, which some unscrupulous people may well do.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

My Series MM passed today, the Ferrari 308 in front of it failed
[sig]3580[/sig]
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

DVLA madness
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

mike.perry wrote:My Series MM passed today, the Ferrari 308 in front of it failed
What would you rather have --a mm that passed or a ferrari that failed? :D
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

no brainer :D :D
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

That's what I thought, Italians make great cars!

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

The Dvla passing the no mot rule is madness and can only lead to problems . The only good bit is it states you need mot to take your private reg off a car so number plate dealers may come unstuck :lol: :lol:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Perhaps you have just found the catch 22 in all this........
ImageImage
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

irmscher wrote:The Dvla passing the no mot rule is madness and can only lead to problems . The only good bit is it states you need mot to take your private reg off a car so number plate dealers may come unstuck :lol: :lol:
cool idea.
autolycus
Minor Addict

Post by autolycus »

It was a government decision, not the DVLA. DVLA only administer the law - they don't make it.

Does anyone know the last chassis numbers built in 1959, please?

Kevin
(looking for a pre-1960-built saloon, convertible, or LCV)
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

autolycus wrote:Does anyone know the last chassis numbers built in 1959, please?
According to Paul Skilleter's book the last 1959 chassis number was 790006. However there's a note saying that the 'first' & 'last' chassis numbers for each year are to some extent approximate as chassis numbers were never issued in strict order. A Heritage Certificate (or the records at Gaydon) will show the actual build date.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
autolycus
Minor Addict

Post by autolycus »

Thanks, Louise, for that information. I'd guess another reason for chassis numbers appearing to be "out of sequence" will be re-works - if a car failed final inspection, its chassis number would already have been issued, but completion may have been delayed while it was resprayed, or whatever. I was trying to get a rough idea so that if I see, for instance, a February 1960 registered car for sale, I can quickly check whether it was registered fresh off the line (needs MoT) or whether it had sat around in a showroom (or field) for a few weeks.

I spelled out the simple economics of investing quite a lot more to buy a 1972 MGB rather than a 1974 one some time ago: no need to repeat it with £54 substituted for £235.

And about cherished number transfers: the new system will allow MoTs on pre-1960 cars, so there will be no effect. Want a transfer? Get it tested, just like now.

Kevin
(still looking...)
Last edited by autolycus on Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Another way to check is by using the DVLA database - input the reg number and it will show the year of manufacture in adition to the date of first registration: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19159

There's always a possibility of an inputting error but in the main the dates should be accurate.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
faversham999
Minor Fan

Post by faversham999 »

my car was built on 22 12 1960 and registered on the 28 03 1961 so it takes some time to them get on the road

autolycus
Minor Addict

Post by autolycus »

faversham999 wrote:my car was built on 22 12 1960 and registered on the 28 03 1961 so it takes some time to them get on the road
As a matter of interest, if you look this car up on the directgov site that Louise mentioned, what does it show as year of manufacture? I suspect that this only differs from the year of registration if it's obviously way adrift, such as a car that's been out of the country and re-registered on its return (bicbw). I tried to check with one of mine - first registered 7 Jan 52, thinking it must have been completed in 1951, but found that its guarantee was issued (which is the closest its makers get to recording a completion date) three days later than it was registered. DVLA automatically assume a car registered on or before 7 Jan 73 must have been built before the end of 72. I wonder whether they'll apply anything similar for MoT exemption?

Kevin
Tamsin
Minor Friendly

Post by Tamsin »

The Covertible in the garage was apparently manufactured in 1964 and registered on the 2nd Jan 64. So I'm not entirely convinced that the details are correct....

I cant believe that the imfamously militant British Car Manufacturer employees would have been working new years day, nor can I believe that the car was registered the same day as it was built, maybe 2 or 3 days later but not same day!
1968 Maroon 2 Door
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

New years day wasn't a bank hol until the mid '70.. I think?

The 'militant' workforce has now gone - yet the country is STILL in a mess!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!