Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Window Frame Removal

Post by Boomlander »

Hi Folks,
Having terrible grief trying to remove Jethro's window frames to fit replacement stainless steel units.
I followed the instructions in my manual and released the three bolts under the rubber grommets, the single bolt holding the other frame leg and the two quarterlight stud nuts and washers ( What a pain to get at! ).
The whole frame pulled up by about two inches and then wouldn't budge any further.
There doesn't seem to be anything obstructing it but the frame will not pull out, am I missing something? :cry:

gazzcross
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Window Frame Removal

Post by gazzcross »

its probably the threaded plates on the outer leg catching on the lock or the winder mechanism on the window maybe?
it can be quite a struggle...i managed to get one frame out along with the window in the frame but the other had to come out with the window in the door.
you may find you have to tilt the frame towards the front slightly

:)
Engineers have 3 special tools that can fix anything - WD40, Big hammer and ductape ;)
check out Bugsy - http://www.flickr.com/photos/61652622@N04/?saved=1
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

So the frame does come out with the window glass still in the door?
I may remove the door latch assembly in case the outer leg is catching on it.
Many thanks,I will let you know what happens. :D

Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Finally got the frame assembly changed!
The front leg was jamming behind a Z shaped plate with a rubber pad on it which sits right next to the frame leg and somehow deflects it as you are lowering the window into place.
It is held on by two nuts and bolts and once removed the whole frame dropped down with no trouble and I simply wiggled the plate back into position afterwards and bolted it in place, still not sure what purpose it serves!
Anyway after dropping and retrieving dozens of nuts and washers from the bottom of the door the job was done and the stainless steel frame looks so much better than the painted version.
Tomorrow I will tackle the driver's side and having stumbled across all the snags and sharp bits it should go much easier next time! ( By the way it's best to fit the velvet glass trims in the frame channel before fitting the frame as its impossible to slide them into place afterwards as shown in my manual!) :wink:

Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Drivers window frame fitted today.
Much easier to fit once door handle remote link removed and also the glass bottom stop (Z shaped bracket from yesterday),
Looks very nice, wouldn't want to do the job again though! :D[frame]Image[/frame]

gazzcross
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by gazzcross »

nice work :D do you want to fit mine when the doors painted :lol:
Engineers have 3 special tools that can fix anything - WD40, Big hammer and ductape ;)
check out Bugsy - http://www.flickr.com/photos/61652622@N04/?saved=1
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

gazzcross wrote:nice work :D do you want to fit mine when the doors painted :lol:
To be honest after I had fitted the first frame and hit all the hidden problems the second one was a doddle!
The trick is to remove that bloody window glass bottom stop bracket and the door latch remote control strip, then you have a clear path inside the door for the frame legs to slide down. Also it's a good idea to invest in a long reach socket for removing and replacing the two quarterlight stud nuts which are hidden from view (£3.50 each in Halfords or a full set for £7.50 on Ebay). I used a 12mm long reach socket on the end of a flexidrive and it was as easy as a really easy thing that has been simplified to make it more easy! :D