Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cheezy_munkey
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Boot lock advice

Post by cheezy_munkey »

Hi there,

I bought a moggy at the weekend. I've discovered that the boot does not lock and have removed the handle and locking mechanism. I think that the key supplied for it is incorrect as it fits but doesn't do anything. I'm wondering if someone could tell me what the key does when it's in working order so I know what to buy. I'm guessing that you turn the key and it stops the handle from turning. Can anyone confirm if this is correct. I see I can buy a replacement handle with keys on Ebay but don't want to go ahead until I know incase the problem lies with the actual lock mounted inside the boot.

Does this make sense? thanks for any advice. PS. It's a moggy II Saloon. 1955 Split Screen.

Thanks
Paul.

Auld Mick
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Re: Boot lock advice

Post by ASL642 »

Welcome to this site, and to the wonderful world of Minor ownership! :D Firstly try a squirt of WD40 into the keyhole. As the key you have fits it might just not be lubricated enough. Leave overnight and try again. If this doesn't work, then you probably do need a new lock. Make sure you buy a SerII boot handle lock as the later model is different. Before you buy from Ebay take a look at ESM or Bull Motif's websites (Morris spares) so that you know the difference . :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Also check that the key number you have matches the three numbers on the lock face - then you'll know if it's the right key or not. The boot lock should be the same key no as the ignition but many are not as they have been replaced over the years. :wink:

mattsw
Minor Friendly

Post by mattsw »

yeh try wd40 as above, if all else fails and before getting a new lock try this, if you strip the lock down so you have the barrel out, there are about five little brass teeth, for want of a better word, when the key is inserted all the teeth should be flat to the barrelallowing it to turn, if not wrong key, but dont panic with the key in place just file down the teeth till flush with the barrel, make the barrel fit the key job done! pm me if you need a better expination. it was about 10yrs ago since i did this after finding none of the keys fit the boot on my moggy.

hope this helps matt.
mattsw
Minor Friendly

Post by mattsw »

forgot to say, well it just came back to me but check before you do this, to take the lock out of the handle you have to file the little notches in the square bar to remove the bell shaped metal cap and then you can proceed as above, and then refit and put the notches back will a punch or similar.

good luck matt
cheezy_munkey
Minor Fan

Post by cheezy_munkey »

Thanks for replies everyone. I'll have a look at it when I get a chance and let you know how I get on.

Auld Mick
xpress
Minor Addict

Post by xpress »

hiya. sometimes with the boot the lock feels like it won't move either way and with a little bit of force it locks/unlocks. have a fiddle about with it. :D

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

And to answer the question about what should happen... The key should turn through 180 degrees. Once turned, the handle should then not move. Turn the key back again, and the handle will move to release the lock.
cheezy_munkey
Minor Fan

Post by cheezy_munkey »

Hi again,
I'm having a bash at what Matt suggested but am stuck at the moment. I managed to file the notches away and remove the bell shaped bit. Then there was a split pin type thing that I removed but can't seem to get the rest of it out. Any ideas anyone?

Cheers
Paul.

Auld Mick
mattsw
Minor Friendly

Post by mattsw »

can you post a photo? help remind me, was over ten year ago!!! i remember the split pin not sure what came next.
Jefftav
Minor Addict

Post by Jefftav »

You need to have the key in the lock to remove the lock mechanism. If your key isn't the right one the it might not be keeping the teeth parts flush which means it won't come out. You may nned to try other keys or a small screwdriver.
cheezy_munkey
Minor Fan

Post by cheezy_munkey »

Thanks so much for your help everyone. It turned out the barrel was just really stuck in. Gave it a whack and it came out, filed it, greased it and put it back together. Works a treat. Absolutely delighted.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice.

Auld Mick
mattsw
Minor Friendly

Post by mattsw »

Glad you got it sorted and saved a few quid, good to see someone having a go at fixing something in this throw it away and buy a new one world!

Good on ya
matt