Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bassman1
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Help !!!! re Traveller rear seat

Post by bassman1 »

Hello everyone i'm in need of a bit of help in identifying the rear seat cover for my traveller, i bought it 8 years ago as a deal from esm , i got the seat covers for a 1962 traveller in blue grey front and rear , one of the fronts had been previously fitted but none of the others had, the fronts fit my own seats perfectly as does the rear seat back, but the rear seat base cover is 3 1/2 inches short at 46 inches, my original cover is 49 1/2 inches long. i only found out this weekend as i am nearing a very drawn out restoration, i can only think that i had been sent the wrong seat base , i didnt check as the bags were labelled and sealed , stupid i know but i didnt think there would be a different length traveller base.
My car is a 1969 and the new cover are 1960-62 , why fit the wrong seat covers ? well i prefer the simpler design on the 62 seats and as the car is not concourse but for enjoyment i thought go with what you like , can anyone who owns a 1960-62 traveller measure their back seat base squab for me to see if the seats were actually shorter on the earlier models , i need to match the length of the one i have to a car in order to advertise it correctly , hopefully i can get a base cover made up at newton commercial . any ideas much appreciated , piture below shows my problem. regards phil
bassman1
Minor Friendly

Re: Help !!!! re Traveller rear seat

Post by bassman1 »

I have had confirmation from noth ESM and Norton Commercial that the 1960-62 rear traveller seat base is in fact 3 -3 1/2inches shorter/narrower than that on the 1964-71 seems strange , having to bite the bullet and have a special order made up 62 design 1970 size, one for the purists !!! fairly reasonable quote from norton commercial , so the cover i have in blue grey 1960-62 will be sold to fund the replacement. Any offers ?
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I did exactly the opposite I had the later '69/70 design made up to fit my '62 Traveller. Yes the measurements are different for the 3 different styles they made for the Minor. The Saloon is the same - early rear seats are not exactly the same as the later ones.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Talking of seats my rear seat base (saloon) was stuffed full of white fluffy stuff between the springs - is that normal? Only half of the seat had it really -possibly the rest had been used as mice bedding!
]
bassman1
Minor Friendly

Post by bassman1 »

my white fluffy wadding is just on each corner to cover the springs the mice didnt find it , but i have a rover p5b saloon waiting for restoration and the mice in the garage found a couple of string seated kitchen chairs stored in plastic bags and chewed em up to make a nest in each bag found em last night while going through stuff to put on fleabay.....i hate mice .....pass me a chair to stand on please !
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

It's Kapok. It's a natural fibre that they used to use (before polyester wadding) to pad around the metal to stop the wire ripping the vinyl. When redoing my seats I used the modern sheet polyester and bound the corners of the seat frame before applying the new cover.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512