Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kessey
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

seat belts

Post by kessey »

I have two moggy's both 2 door saloons one a 64 and the other a 69 DO I NEED SEAT BELTS TO PASS THE MOT I haven't found anyone who can 100% answer my question yet

thanks for any help
barrie102
Minor Friendly

Re: seat belts

Post by barrie102 »

kessey wrote:I have two moggy's both 2 door saloons one a 64 and the other a 69 DO I NEED SEAT BELTS TO PASS THE MOT I haven't found anyone who can 100% answer my question yet

thanks for any help
April 1967 seems to be the date for seat belts .
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

my advice is to fit seat belts regardless of MOT requirments
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Seconded!

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Both cars should have the fittings, certainly the 67 will have. If the earlier car has not then copy the mountings and fit a decent set of Securon inertia belts to each car.
[sig]3580[/sig]
Alan Pearse
Minor Friendly

Post by Alan Pearse »

As Mike has said one or both of thee cars will have mounting points, it is not a legal requirment for vehicles of this age to have seat belts fitted, but it is strongley advised to fit them. Once you have fitted the seatbelts however, as they are fitted they come under the the MoT regulations and must be of correct type manufacture (ie display the kite mark or E U number) and be in full working order, belts must not be tucked behind seats or buckles under seat base when the vehicle is prestented for MoT as they will fail as not being readily available to inspect. If still unsure go to your local MoT an ask the MoT examiner there for some advice and to check the regulations for you. Failing that contact your local VOSA centre (Vehicle Operator Service Agency) you should find the number in the book or on line.
Alan Pearse
Register of the
Series II
Saloon & Convertible
Register
kessey
Minor Friendly

Post by kessey »

well i have the old parachute clasps in the 69 so i will replace those cos they are very shocking and look untidy. personally going to leave belts out of the 64

thanks for all your help guys hopefully get some pictures up soon
dukeminor1971
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by dukeminor1971 »

Fit some belts... first thing I did on my new purchased Moggy was to fit some new (BullMotif) inertia reel belts.. last month a lorry pulled out in front of me without signalling or apparently looking what was coming. Full blooded emergency stop and my belt held me tight.