Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Gilesv
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Maroon 'B' Saloon on Ebay

Post by Gilesv »

Check this out on Ebay:Item number: 200684979813 (I'm having difficulty copying a direct link)

I would suggest that this one is a bit newer than described. Many of us know that this colour was only available between October '67 and November '70 the end of saloon production. (I've owned at least eight Maroon 'B' saloons over the last thirty years). The pictures also suggest this is a car of the period, and the number plates are newish..

..The DVLA reveals the following info:

The vehicle details for SJX 789 are:
Date of Liability 01 05 2012
Date of First Registration 17 10 1963
Year of Manufacture 1963
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1098cc
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type PETROL
Export Marker N
Vehicle Status SORN Not Due
Vehicle Colour MAROON
Vehicle Type Approval Not Available
MarkyB
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Maroon 'B' Saloon on Ebay

Post by MarkyB »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200684979813? ... 3D1&_rdc=1

The paintwork is nasty, it might be Re Paint, I did a traveller in the same colour many years ago and the shine went off it pretty fast.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

I See what you mean. A '63 car would have the three spoke steering wheel, push pull switches and no embossed alluminium surround to the speedo etc. And modern looking plates too as you say...
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Agreed, post '64 restyle
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Very 'new' looking plates - and looks like it was white paint before the maroon was blown over - hence peeling off the dash... No underbonnet/boot floor/underside pictures........ caveat emptor!
ImageImage
Alan Pearse
Minor Friendly

Post by Alan Pearse »

And your meaning is what, that the car has had a respray, late model switches and surround fitted, and the car has had a registration change. The person selling it may not be as knowledgable as some of us and may have written the add thinking the information they have is correct, or maybe it was done as rouse to deceive. come on people unless somebody wants the holly grail does it really matter.
Alan Pearse
Register of the
Series II
Saloon & Convertible
Register
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Alan Pearse wrote:And your meaning is what, that the car has had a respray, late model switches and surround fitted, and the car has had a registration change. The person selling it may not be as knowledgable as some of us and may have written the add thinking the information they have is correct, or maybe it was done as rouse to deceive. come on people unless somebody wants the holly grail does it really matter.
You cant simply change the dash over like that at all! I think your missing the point. The issue is that the associated paperwork does, for whatever reason not match the car. No one is being blamed, simply warning people.
___Anne___

Alan Pearse
Minor Friendly

Post by Alan Pearse »

I am aware you can't change the dash over, but you can add thr later model bits and pieces as they just bolt on from behind. the centre speedo dash came November 54 and was updated as time went on by bolt on add ons. as i said the person selling the car is only using the information he/she has. looking at the car you can see its a Morris 1000. people use your common sense about this 2011 - 48 = 1963 which would have had if registered after 1st feb 63 an A suffix, Jan 62- Jan 63 would have had 3 letters and 3 or 4 digits. or is it a transition model right on the cusp of change from the late series II to the Morris 1000
Alan Pearse
Register of the
Series II
Saloon & Convertible
Register
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Sadly,the "does it matter" attitude is all too common nowadays!

October 1964 was the introduction of this dash.

Just ask for the body number!

If it IS innocent, the vendor will provide this number freely - if NOT....BB!!!

Chris
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

In financial terms it matters little whether the car is 63 or 64, in fact a 64 may be slightly more desirable than a 63.
What is important is that somewhere a mistake has been made and incorrect information has been entered on the documentation held by the DVLA which one day could become a problem and the vendor should take the opportunity to check the chassis and body numbers to verify the car is as it should be.
[sig]3580[/sig]
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

As Mike says, the STAMPED chassis nos. AND the nos. on the body plate are the important ones to note!

How easy is it to take off a chassis plate??!!

MY advice,for what it's worth, is...ALWAYS check before parting with your cash!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Must say the other way. A 63 has the more powerful 1098, but still the the smaller more attractive front and real lights, and clap hand wipers? Thus imo more desirable, But that matters not :p
___Anne___

IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Its not that straightforward to update the dashboard. The pre facelift dash has a raised rim round the ignition key in the pressing of the dashboard, so the later aluminium trim would not sit flat on it. Also, I think the the other switches are a different spacing.
Nothing insurmountable if you're determined enough, but why would anyone bother? I think we've established that neither variety is more desirable than the other anyway.
Most likely possibility is still an id swap at some stage in the vehicles life, though evidence of stamped in chassis number (if it has one) and the body number would help. Of course it just could a beuracratic error at some stage in its life by the DVLA and its been recorded as a year or two older than it is. Wether that bothers you or not is just up to you...
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

Alan Pearse
Minor Friendly

Post by Alan Pearse »

Checky bloke I am i've been in touch with this chap, the car was first registered in oct 1964 which makes it a B reg, but a previous owner did a regerstration change for a pre 63 plate. so that is where the mix up came from. the number plate is pre 63 but the car is 64. I hope this will put people's minds at rest as to any rouse to pulling the wool over peoples eyes. simples.
Alan Pearse
Register of the
Series II
Saloon & Convertible
Register
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Glad thats sorted then. Sounded a genuine sort of description, just the details didn't add up...
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.