Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
deano69
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

crossmember

Post by deano69 »

Got sent some pics of a MM im interested in buying and i've not seen a crossmember with the curvy bits before(please see pic), certainly not on any of the three ive owned.Is this cos its in better nick, a replacement or some other reason?[frame]Image[/frame]I notice it doesnt have jacking points either which may mean its a replacement.Any ideas?

Cheers
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Re: crossmember

Post by chrisryder »

curvy bits looks to me like moisture getting in the 'seam' and rust bursting the joint. would need work, but not necessarily terminal!
deano69
Minor Fan

Post by deano69 »

Oh, well that may be the case, though i thought it was part of its construction.The curve bits look too regular.This pic may be better.[frame]Image[/frame]Am i being to optimistic in hoping the advert is correct when it said rust free underside?If it is rust bursting through thats the ads veracity shot to bits..
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

the regularity could be due to the bottom strip being spot welded on at regular intervals. so it's raising between the spots.

as for the lack of jacking points, it does suggest work has gone on under there before.

it looks like a panel has been let in further down the sill aswell, although it does look reasonably well done, so long as whatever rust was cut out, and not covered up.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - it's the beginning of rot damage, but the crossmember looks good and solid and so a good dosing with rust killer followed by lots of waxoyl should see it fine for many many years to come. Lack of jack points is a GOOD thing!
ImageImage
deano69
Minor Fan

Post by deano69 »

Thanks for the replies.

So 'rustfree', 'original' and 'never been welded' was a bit of a lie then.Oh well, so long as its solid enough for a new MOT.

I thought rustkiller was a big con?Or am i thinking of rust converters.So work rustkiller into the cracks and crevices where its rusty, wash it off and then waxoyl it all over and it should be good for a few years yet?I've agreed a sale and price but could get out of it on the grounds of wrongful description but i like the look of the car, need transport now and at the price could afford to buy welder to start restoring the other ones rusty bits.
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

I agree with BMC on both counts (Especially as the MM should not have jacking points on the crossmember.)

It certainly does look very good under there though despite that distortion.
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

i took MM to be a abbreviation for a minor, not specifically a series MM (i do wish it could be made clearer...)

i don't think the exhaust is original as it appears to be a two-piece affair.

if it were a Series MM would it not have the split axle? This vehicle appears to have the later style axle.
deano69
Minor Fan

Post by deano69 »

Its a series 2 split screen but the engines been changed for a 948cc, so maybe the the axle was changed also?

Series MM's didnt have jacking points then?
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

No and neither did Series II. Well, at least not on the crossmember! They are under the wheel arches.
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

Probably original axle as only the earliest (1953) Series 2s had the MM type axle.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Get them to drop the price on account of the badly rusted crossmember and the missing jacking points. Tell them £100 to put all that right....... After all - what use is a Minor with no jacking points... :oops: :oops: :wink: :wink:
ImageImage
hanvyj
Minor Fan

Post by hanvyj »

bmcecosse wrote:Get them to drop the price on account of the badly rusted crossmember and the missing jacking points. Tell them £100 to put all that right....... After all - what use is a Minor with no jacking points... :oops: :oops: :wink: :wink:
But the car won't be origional without them!

My crossmember displays similar, but less severe, rusting. I belive its three pieces of metal welded together? so when water gets into the joint and expands/rusts it puffs out the joint. You should definatley be able to get some money off, but the guy may just turn down the sale for someone who is less knowledgable.