Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JimPicti64
MMOC Member: No

DVLA Question

Post by JimPicti64 »

Hi,

My 2 door trafalgar blue moggy has lain neglected in the garage at what was my parents home for some 20 years. :cry: :oops:

Unfortunately for various reasons I was unable to rescue her, but wilst on recent vist to my sister's I have given the car an inspection, she can be saved but its not for the faint hearted :o :o

my first question is regarding the fact that all that time she has remained registered in my name at the old address, the V5 is missing in action!! could someone advise me if its a simple application to the DVLA for a new V5 or can I expect any grieff from them (DVLA).
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: DVLA Question

Post by bmcecosse »

Just apply for a new one - there is a small fee to pay..... You will then need to keep it on SORN - which doesn't cost anything, but will require annual renewal.
ImageImage
JimPicti64

Post by JimPicti64 »

Thanks,

Will get that done, I have some minor (lol) issues to deal with before the surgery can begin mainly clearing out the garage to get to her & my garage at home to get her in!! but it begins soon!! :D
autolycus
Minor Addict

Post by autolycus »

It might provoke fewer enquiries if you first apply for a replacement V5, then deal with the change of address separately - provided you can still get at post delivered to your parents' house. You can even do the first stage by phone, if you want. £25 fee however you apply for a replacement, but address changes are still free.

It won't need a SORN, since it's been off the road since before 31 Jan 98. See the direct.gov.uk website for the rules.

Kevin
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

I would be interested to hear how you get on as I am in the same boat and haven't applied to the DVLA yet.
Oh, and welcome to the forum.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Is that right about SORN ? I thought once DVLA heard from you - the car was then forced to be either Taxed or SORNd. Doesn't really matter - it's just an annual renewal, on-line if you wish.
ImageImage
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

I think so. You can have changes of keepers and addresses, but as long as its been out of the taxation system since whatever date SORN came in, it still not a req to declare SORN.
I've certainly had a few address changes and acquired a few vehicles that haven't been on the road for a long time - and never had a tax/sorn reminder.

Actually, don't quote me on this, but from experience I've never heard of them chasing up a tax exempt vehicle. I've been fined once for my 1980 Marina pickup for missing a tax reminder/sorn renewal, but I suppose its in their (financial) interests to go after the ones which pay tax rather than devoting manpower to the non revenue generating vehicles....
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
Alan Pearse
Minor Friendly

Post by Alan Pearse »

As there is change happening next year in relation to continuous insurance/sorn, if the vehicle is not insuredand is not declared sorn the dvla enforcement teams can seize the vehicle even if it's in boxes and bits on your garage floor. bets to get sorn at the correct address.
Alan Pearse
Register of the
Series II
Saloon & Convertible
Register
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

I think the continuous insurance legislation is already in place, unless the vehicle is on sorn.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Indeed it is..... I would like to see how the first Court Case goes when the car is obviously 'in bits' and not capable of use. It's tragic that the Classic car clubs/groups have let this sort of legislation get in to Law.
ImageImage
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

It really isn't all that difficult, is it - If your car is off road, for whatever reason, SORN it - Simples !!!
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
JimPicti64

Post by JimPicti64 »

bmcecosse wrote:Indeed it is..... I would like to see how the first Court Case goes when the car is obviously 'in bits' and not capable of use. It's tragic that the Classic car clubs/groups have let this sort of legislation get in to Law.

Soooo??? You now have to insure your vehicle even if its of road????? :o :o when did this come in? :-? What idiot thought this one up??? :-? bet the insurance companies just love it!!! :x :x :x

Back the me original question, I have completed the form & posted it to the gestapo oops! sorry DVLA.

I am going along the route of applying for a replacement V5 under the old address as my sister still lives there along with her old Landy defender & MK III Spitfire.

She'll give me a bell when the V5 arrives & i'll keep you updated on how it goes. :)
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

JimPicti64 wrote: Soooo??? You now have to insure your vehicle even if its of road????? :o :o when did this come in? :-? What idiot thought this one up??? :-? bet the insurance companies just love it!!! :x :x :x
There seems to be all sorts of misinformation being posted on internet forums about the continuous insurance scheme :-? The purpose of the scheme is to crack down on drivers who have no insurance. These cost £380m per year and add approx £30 to the cost of annual insurance premiums. The insurance industry database is being checked against the DVLA database to identify vehicles which are taxed but have no insurance. The owners will be contacted and asked to either insure their vehicle or declare it as SORN. If they fail to do so they will be sent a reminder letter, then a fine and as a last resort their car will be seized.

A vehicle declared as SORN does not need to be insured - it's up to the owner if they wish to insure it whilst 'off road'.
bmcecosse wrote:It's tragic that the Classic car clubs/groups have let this sort of legislation get in to Law.
Why? :-? The legislation stating that a car must either be taxed or declared SORN has been in place for a number of years now and is separate to the continuous insurance scheme. It costs nothing to SORN a vehicle so the only classic car owners who will be affected by the scheme will be those who are driving on the roads without insurance.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
JimPicti64

Post by JimPicti64 »

Thanks louise for clearing that up I thought I was gonna have to dash out to get insurance for teh moggie. :o :o

so i'll let you all know what happens, in the meantime i'll need to dig teh moggie out the garage at me sisters & tidy up me own garage to get her in!! :oops: :oops: :-? :-?

Oh by the way when my membership comes through does the club want the reg & chassis no of Moira??? (that'll be her name by the way) lol

named after the chicken on the pea & ham soup add from a few years ago!!! :P :P :lol:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The Classic Groups should have fought for an exemption for Classic cars. Many folks tax the car all year round - but only insure it when they actually want to use it on the road - usually in the summer. I'm in no way condoning driving around without insurance - almost impossible now anyway unless using false 'cloned' plates - cop cars automatically scan the plates and flag up no tax/no MOT/ no insurance...... I'm sceptical about the idea of a letter 'inviting' etc etc - DVLA are usually a bit more brutal than that!
ImageImage
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

insurnace policies normally run for 12months. I would have thought it would be really inconvenient to only insure a vehicle for part of a year involving cancelling/starting policies or swapping cars about on an existing policy. and with classic car insurance being relatively cheap for Minors I woulf have thought it made sense just insure it - use some sort of limited mileage/summer use type cover to get the price down. Just sold a Minro saloon to a customer and it cost them less than £80 for fully comp insurance for the year.

As for the continuous insurance issue - if you take your car off road for whatever reason and let the policy lapse or cancel it, simply bung the tax disc in at the post office and declare sorn. Its a mild inconvenience that will probably affect few people (I normally have cars still insured when reduced to boxes of bits...) and if it gets a few more uninsured idiots off the the road (debatable, I know) it will have done some good.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!