Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
guymcc
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Rear axle leaking into drums

Post by guymcc »

My rear axle is leaking oil in to the offside drum, i've had a look at it and being a novice i'm wondering what is required to fix the problem. I am looking at getting a kit, which includes the bearing, oil seal, o-ring and gasket, but i'm not too sure if I need the bearing and oil seal. I was thinking about only getting the o-ring and the gasket, as someone mentioned to me on a previous thread of mine.

Oh and the hub nut has previously been taken off by what looks like a chisel and hammer method, so should i get this replaced? I don't currently have a tool which fits this.
TIA of your help! I need it! :D
May thanks!!! :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Rear axle leaking into drums

Post by bmcecosse »

Most have been chiseled - it does no harm - but if bothered you can clean up the nut with a few strokes of a file! Unless the bearing feels worn (is there any play?) just fit new seal +O ring + gasket.
ImageImage
guymcc
Minor Fan

Post by guymcc »

cheers for that,

I don't think there is any play. So i'll just go with what you suggested.
I'll get some new axle fluid while I'm at it!
:D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

EP 90 for that axle fluid - but make sure it's not overfilled, and the breather on the diff casing is clear - not blocked.
ImageImage
mrsnak
Minor Fan

Post by mrsnak »

bmcecosse wrote:EP 90 for that axle fluid - but make sure it's not overfilled, and the breather on the diff casing is clear - not blocked.
Hijacking this thread for a second. Just changed the fluid in the rear axle of my 61 pickup. Is the fill hole cap the same thing as a breather. Mine does not look like it vents. It's slotted at the top (Screwdriver slot?), smooth round on the sides, but the thread is bored through. Where on that cap does it vent through?
Also, I filled until just below that top hole. Is this good?
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

the filler /leval is the plug thats at the back io the diff casing its half way up,take the plug out and fill till you get oil just start running out of the hole .
[sig]5641[/sig]
Stig
Minor Addict

Post by Stig »

The breather is a plastic tube and cap like this: http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pop ... d74ebeefcc that screws into the top of the diff casing.

Well, that's how it is on a later axle, I don't know if the earlier ones with the filler round the front had the same breather arrangement -I'm guessing '61 is the earlier one if the filler is slotted rather than with the square hole.
mrsnak
Minor Fan

Post by mrsnak »

Stig wrote:The breather is a plastic tube and cap like this: http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pop ... d74ebeefcc that screws into the top of the diff casing.

Well, that's how it is on a later axle, I don't know if the earlier ones with the filler round the front had the same breather arrangement -I'm guessing '61 is the earlier one if the filler is slotted rather than with the square hole.

That's mine, but it's all metal. So that isn't the filler cap? It's about 2/3rds up the case on the rear, so it looked to me as if it were where I fill.

Looking at the rear of the axle, I only saw the drainplug and this one.[frame]Image[/frame]
Stig
Minor Addict

Post by Stig »

Isn't there a filler plug in the front of the diff casting? Early cars had the filler there, later ones had the filler in the back of the axle casing. It may be that someone's fitted a later diff to an early axle which means no filler at all!

If you've filled it all the way up to the breather then it's way too full! It should be a bit under half way up the casing. I suggest you use a piece of thin wire as a dipstick through the breather hole to check the level and drain some oil out until it's 'right'. -I've tried a quick google to find a picture of the back of a later axle to show the filler but couldn't quickly find one.

I'm not sure what perils there may be from running it over full, but it'll certainly cause more drag and may well provoke leaks.
mrsnak
Minor Fan

Post by mrsnak »

Having filled many a differential in my day, I was surprised to see what I thought was a filler cap so high up.

Went underneath and now see that I have a type 1 rear end, which has the filler cap sitting facing upward on the front left side of the case. It doesn't look like it's been touched in years, so I think the last service and prior owner may have not known it was there. I didn't even see it because it was so encrusted. Will clean the area (debris will fall right in the hole as it is now) and let it drain down to correct levels.

That breather cap - never had a problem with it, but probably should be thoroughly cleaned. Not sure how it "breathes" but I'm sure that will be clear when I spray and inspect it more closely.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You have WAY overfilled it - so you urgently need to drain oil out down to the correct level - that's if it's not already flooded out over the rear brakes............ :cry:
ImageImage
mrsnak
Minor Fan

Post by mrsnak »

Thanks for coming to my rescue on this. As it turns out, my axle has NO filler plug except for the breather cap.
I fashioned a dipstick from a piece of white plastic cable tie and drained down to about halfway.

The breather cap was a bit clogged, so I cleaned it thoroughly before reinstalling.

John159
Minor Friendly

Post by John159 »

I noted that a number of posts refer to the air breather fitted to the back axle housing. - suggesting that if it is clogged/blocked that the back axle oil might be forced out through the seals on the half shafts - if they are anyway weak. I've just checked my breather which I will attempt to describe here? There is about a 3/4 inch pipe protruding from close to the top of the back axle casing. Then there is this plastic cap fitted over it. But inside the lid of the cap and an integral part of it is this plastic protrusion that fits into the pipe opening when you put the cap on. In my estimation the axle housing is sealed at that point once the cap is put firmly on - so I cannot see how this can act as a breather. I wonder was the original lost and this plastic cap is a replacement. It , at least keeps the dirt out. Would welcome any opinions
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

the caps i have used have a plastic "x" in the middle which get wider at the top ( near the cap ) so can not be pushed all the way down the pipe.. can take a photo if it would help..
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - there is a space. Clean it and see. If in doubt - fit a new one. It MUST be able to breath - but equally the little drain holes at the backplates MUST be clear, so any oil getting past the seal can run out and be seen, rather than contaminate the shoes.
ImageImage