Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
chrisryder
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Removable Seat Covers

Post by chrisryder »

Last time me and 'er in doors, went on a long trip in hot weather she announced that she'd make some seat covers. as i'm sure most of you will know, the vinyl seats are a little bit unforgiving in hot weather. as soon as your lower back becomes exposed then you find yourself stuck to it. and the first you know about it is when you hit a bump :o

my seats are pretty tatty anyway, being dirty from oil and grease and stuff (which is cleanable i know) but also being quite worn and ripped:
[frame]Image[/frame]
anyway, the up and coming MOT inspired her to follow through on her offer and run some covers up. after a long trip around the markets in birmingham looking for material, we decided on a fetching gingham and a matching plain colour. this was all washed before being worked with to allow for the material to shrink in the wash, rather than have it shrink the first time we wash them!

some foam was purchased from the market too, and cut to size to add a bit more comfort to the seat. this foam is restrained by the covers.

here's the 'mark one' version so far, a bit more hemming and sewing to go yet:
[frame]Image[/frame]
the back seat has a plain top, mainly because we had every last inch of gingham the shop had, but also because it'd be a large area of pattern, which would look a bit busy.
[frame]Image[/frame]
apparently i'm getting some matching cushions tomorrow... :D

so... it's a bit out of keeping with the rest of the style of the car. they look a bit different at the mo, but so did the black wheels, and i've warmed to those!

they should certainly but functional if nothing else! and the beauty is, they're easily removed if i decide i dont like them, and easily removed for putting straight in the washing machine!
andygill
Minor Fan

Re: Removable Seat Covers

Post by andygill »

Hi

What type of material did you get. Is it hard wearing ? Did you cut the foam yourself or did the shop do it 

Thanks
Andy
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I think they're seats covers. Chris didn't re-upholster his seats.

Seats covers aren't hard to make. Use a newspaper to make the "pattern" of the seat shape. (remember to allow extra for turnings to sew them together)

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
andygill
Minor Fan

Post by andygill »

ASL642 wrote:I think they're seats covers. Chris didn't re-upholster his seats.

Seats covers aren't hard to make. Use a newspaper to make the "pattern" of the seat shape. (remember to allow extra for turnings to sew them together)
Hi Lou

I did realise they were seat covers. It has given me the idea to do mine. Was just wondering what sort of material is needed suerly it must be something hard wearing ?

Cheers
Andy
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

it's not the most hard wearing of material, just cotton. the plain blue is stronger than the gingham.

this is kind of a 'mark one' prototype! if we like them and the material doesn't last then we'll find something better. my girlfriend has made patterns for it so it'll be easy to make others.

the foam was bought as a 50cm x 50cm block, about 1.5 inches thick. the seat is 50cm wide and about 45cm long, so we just trimmed the end and rounded the front corners with stout scissors.

all of the seams were machine stitched, and some (like the join on the back seat) were 'princess seams' like you get on a flag, so that both sides had neat edges.

the rear covers aren't fitted, just roughly the right size, and then tucked in around the edges. having the princess seams means that if the back one gets dirty or something, it can be un-tucked and turned over!
[frame]Image[/frame]
scotwood59
Minor Friendly

Post by scotwood59 »

They look lovely and bright.

I think I might have a go myself. There is only so much old dirt you can clean off the vinyl!!
George
stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

Wooow, I want something similar... (MUUUUUM!)
Are they easily removable?
S

Just J-j-j-jiggle it a bit.
'Fiona' - a 1965 original 'C' 2dr in Almond Green
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... bc64c7805b
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

the front ones just slip on. the back ones are tucked in around the edges.

the plan was to incorporate little ties at the bottom to fix them on, but we ran out of time so they're just slid on for now!
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Chris - run and bit of bias binding around the lower edge. Your can then use this as a channel for thin elastic which will keep them gathered around the base and in place. Perhaps a small job for YKW when you both get back from France. Have a safe journey :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
andygill
Minor Fan

Post by andygill »

Lou - what is bias binding ?
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Bias binding is a strip of material (plain coloured) that is cut diagonally across material which makes it stretch around curves - very useful in sewing. You use it to make seams either to bind raw redges of material or in this case to make a channel through which elastic or cord can be threaded. In this case you would use it round the lower edge of the new seat covers to pull them in tightly against the frame. There's an explanation in Wiki which may help you. It's available in sewing shops i.e Hobbycraft or John Lewis etc. If you know anyone who sews they can probably show you - it's a bit difficult to "explain" in words! :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512