Lowering a minor

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
minorman94
MMOC Member: No

Lowering a minor

Post by minorman94 »

Hi, dont know if this is the right section or not, but was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to lower a minor? also how low can you acctually go with one?

many thanks

Nick
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Lowering a minor

Post by bmcecosse »

Lots of posts on this subject - use the search function! But basically at the rear the springs usually settle nicely to give a 'lowered' appearance - and at the front you may be able to lower by one spline on the Torsion bars without taking the kingpins TOO close to the bump stops. Make sure these bump stops are in place and fixed to good solid inner wings........You should maintain ~ 2" suspension movement - some cut down the bump stops slightly front and rear. Stiffen up the damping by draining the dampers and flushing/refilling with SAE 30 or 40 oil (that's NOT 10W40 oil....).
ImageImage
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Using the wrong oil in the front dampers comes with a warning - the damper mounting bolts are not designed for a major increase in damper load. If they fail, you've lost control of the front wheels...
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Many many people including me have been using more viscous oil in the dampers for years and years - I haven't heard of a single case of bolts breaking because of it...... But Ray does have a point =- it is worth just checking the bolts are pulled up snug when doing the job. Bolts are much more likely to be strained/damaged when the suspension comes to a sudden halt if the bump stops and rebound stops are missing - so make SURE they are in place and in good order.
ImageImage