Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
egsj
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Car Cover Queries

Post by egsj »

I'm thinking seriously about shelling out for a top-of-the-range 'Stormforce' outdoor cover for my Traveller. I've read previous threads here on car covers, including a really helpful review of the 'Stormforce'. I just have a few little queries, in case anyone can help...

1. Is there any difference between the 'Stormforce' cover sold by Coverzone and that by Cover Your Car? If so, which is better?

2. I have door mirrors next to my quarterlights, not wing mirrors. Am I going to have to unscrew and remove these every time I put this specially fitted cover on and reattach them every time I take it off? (In other words, are the 'bunny ears' just for wing mirrors?)

3. I may soon be using my Traveller several times a week. Does the car have to be dry to start with when you put the cover on in order to get the benefit of this type of cover? (In reality, my Traveller is often going to be rain-sodden when I get her home.)

4. Given question 3, is this cover really best suited for long-term outside storage? Is it too much faff for day-to-day on-off use?

Jamesy
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Car Cover Queries

Post by bmcecosse »

I had the Monsoon version - it failed due to 'sunlight' perishing the plastic cover in it's second summer (not used in winter). It did keep the car dry if put on the dry car - until it perished. The car will dry out underneath the cover - but not much point putting it on a wet car really...It will dry out more quickly if left to let the wind & sun do the job. Any sharp edges will quickly tear the cover due to flapping. It is a faff to fit the underneath straps (on knees and a long stick to push the straps through) - and you MUST fit them every time. Put it this way - I regret buying mine and will never buy another.
ImageImage
NOEL
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by NOEL »

I have the Monsoon version and have had it for nearly 1 year, so far I have to say I think its worth the money, its protected my Minor when not in use pretty well particularly from snow and it has not let any water in either,you do need to bend a bit to fit the straps,I find it easier to wrap the ends around a broom then push the broom under the car,then, go around to the other side and secure the clips. My cover came with the "bunny ears" covers for mirrors. I have mirrors attached to the quaterlight area rather than the wings and they provide an extra layer of protection for the mirrors although somtimes I have not bothered to fit these and it does not appear to make much difference. You do not have to remove the mirrors,there is enough give in the material.
The previous comment about letting the car dry out first is a sound tip even if its over night and its best to try and get the front area fitted first especially on a windy day. Hope this helps :) :D
egsj
Minor Friendly

Post by egsj »

Thanks, Noel. Good news about not having to remove the quaterlight mirrors. Somehow I'd thought the bunny ears were built into the design of the fitted cover (!) but from what you say it seems they come separately and you pop them on before you put on the cover. I'm still inclined towards the Stormforce rather than the Monsoon, given what some folks have said about the latter going brittle and deteriorating in the sun after a couple of summers. (But I hope yours lasts and lasts...!)

Can anyone out there answer my first question?

Jamesy
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I have had the Coverzone Monsoon cover for my Traveller (coming up to 2 years) V. happy with it. Good fit and easy to put on. Two straps under car means it doesn't blow off. Soft covers for wing/door mirrors (put them on to protect cover from sharp mirror edges). If you read the instructions it does suggest that when the weather gets warm (i.e strong UV) take the cover off. If it's warm weather the car will not need a cover anyway, and very strong UV will make the cover become brittle over time.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
pjh56
Minor Legend

Post by pjh56 »

Like Roy's my Monsoon has perished after 18 months, the trouble is I don't have use of a garage and the water gets in around the windscreen that is why I only use the car in the summer. The Monsoon has kept the car dry and blemish free throughout the severe weather, but the outer surface has started to break down.
The elastic around the skirt has started to tear away from the main body of the cover, but it does get extremely windy parked at the side of the house.
After all that I am expecting my Stormforce cover to arrive any day, in general they do what they are supposed to do. Check for pricing between the two companies as I am under the impression the product is the same.

My 1970 2 door saloon Trafalgar Blue
egsj
Minor Friendly

Post by egsj »

Thanks, all, for your replies. I'm now quite sure that there is only one cover called 'Stormforce': Cover-Zone makes it and sells it direct from its website, but you can also get it from Cover Your Car, one of their suppliers (for about £2 less!). It's exactly the same product, with a two year warranty wherever you buy it. The only difference I can see is that Cover Your Car sell the additional option of an integrated car cover alarm for £25. I might think about that...

Jamesy